19t upgrade need impressions [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 19t upgrade need impressions

04black9-3
19th November 2009, 03:03 PM
I have added a front mount intercooler, modded the piping to make it sit perfect and connect correctly, got bigger green injectors, a td04 aero turbo, a 3in downpipe, high flow cat, an 3in catback. I am contemplating doing the 19T upgrade to the turbo before I take off the stock linear turbo and put this one on. But I have been told for the larger turbo I will lose a bit of spool up which I can handle but how much. I was looking for around 280 or so at the wheels so would the stock td04 do it??? I am just not wanting to go through a brand new motor which I just installed when I aquired the car due to the previous owner throwing a rod due to no oil. I may do forged pistons and rods later. But for now I use this daily and since I build engines for a living I can do the motor but I think I want to hold off for now. I was told 300 is the max you want to put on the stock pistons so please tell me what some of your thoughts are. Once all is done I am driving it too JZW to have a custom tune done to it.

NickTaliaferro
19th November 2009, 03:51 PM
I have the 18t on mine with a clipped turbine.. I would not really go bigger than the 18t on the stock turbine housing. http://www.genuinesaab.com/cars/93ssAero.htm

It makes about 320hp conservatively but on E85. I am trying to find time to tune if for gas with the same setup. Certainly gets tricky tuning the t8 cars with bigger turbos. Full throttle is easy. The rest is hard and takes lots of experience.

On your car I would worry about the "t" cams. Need to retime those to make it work well with the new hardware.

04black9-3
19th November 2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the insight and I will definitely stick to no bigger than the 18t if I do the turbo upgrade. What if I were to just install the cams from a "T" car???