xenon headlights [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: xenon headlights

rbruce
5th April 2002, 03:37 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to buy Xenon headlights for a saab anywhere. I think this would be a good upgrade for my car and I am wondering what I should be looking for and if there are any hazards in using them.

Thanks

Janne Selinummi
5th April 2002, 05:09 PM
I remember I saw an advert in a car show, that stated "gas discharge headlights for all cars" - pretty nice if it's true!
Too bad I can't remember what the manufacturer of the kits was, but at least I'm pretty sure this can be done to Saabs.

Smackrazor
6th April 2002, 01:04 AM
I have one (guy in a shop gave my mom the wrong bulb so she gave it to me) haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure it's just a little brighter. The blue ones you see in BMWs are usually illegal unless they were factory installed.

Viktor
6th April 2002, 10:43 AM
Xenon lights just became standard equipment in 9-5s. They are not available anywhere aftermarket for C900s. Xenon lamps are not just the bulbs, they are part of a very expensive package for the entire headlight assembly. They ususally can be as cheap as $600 per light to $1200.
You can buy a cheap PIAA imitation blue bulb that gives you the 'look', but they only last like about a year and cost $20 apiece.

Janne Selinummi
6th April 2002, 03:31 PM
Yes, Viktor, that's the point!
The advert I saw did refer to a whole upgrade package that included all the parts needed for the xenon-light conversion.
The kit was not cheap, I can't remember the exact price, but anyway it was in excess of 100.
I think it's far easier to improve the headlights by renewing all the wiring with low-resistance new wires and perhaps installing ancillary head lights on top of the bumper.

Viktor
6th April 2002, 05:04 PM
Where did you see the kit for the xenon conversion? I would definately like to see that.

jimbob
6th April 2002, 06:53 PM
I bought a pair of xenon H4 headlamp bulbs for my grlfriends car about 3 years ago( about 8 each). I transferred them over to her latest car because they still haven't blown yet. I did notice a very slight difference in brightness, but nothing very significant. They aren't coloured blue by the way and they shine almost the same colour as halogen ones. I'm sure a full headlamp set up is better though.
Jimbob

Janne Selinummi
7th April 2002, 10:38 AM
Too bad I didn't take a brochure for the xenon-kit! It was displayed at a motor show, and the reason whay I wasn't too interested was the steep price... I'm not sure if they really meaned ALL cars in the advert, or was it just a headline once more. Anyway, with modifications to the headlight units you can install an universal kit, so that way at least you can get xenon lights for an older Saab.

Keith
7th April 2002, 10:43 AM
That journo Saab2pla was given a HID kit to try wasn't he?

Dunno what happened to him, he's not posted for ages....

Alex
7th April 2002, 02:16 PM
It is possible to get several Xenon kits in the UK, with prices ranging from couple hundred quid upwards. Biggest problem is that the xenon bulb doesn't have main beam so on cars which use the dip/main H4s main beam is lost during the conversion, which is illegal in this country atleast.

87SPGIN
7th April 2002, 09:04 PM
I purchased some xenon bulbs from napa Pt# 9004 and they seem to be fine i have had them for a year the package said for show car use only but i have yet to hear from law enforcement about the brightness. The light is so much different than reg halogen bulbs its almost after you drive for a while with the xenon bulbs in and u switch to a car w/ the new bulbs you are checking to make sure u have your headlights on.

ianlax55
8th April 2002, 01:00 PM
i have them in mine and they work great but are not listed unhder anybody's product list just look at the bulb number on the package the c900 uses 9004 bulbs.

Owain
9th April 2002, 09:04 AM
I tried Xenon bulbs... they're pants! They lasted weeks, never mind months or years. I recently bought a pair of "Brilliance" bulbs from Halfords and they are way brighter than anything else I've tried, approx. 10 (15) each. Time will tell how long they last.

Janne is right - you have to go the whole way with Xenon lights, not just a bulb.

Scooty814
3rd April 2006, 11:23 AM
If you buy true Xenon bulbs for a Halogen setup, of course they are only going to work for a few weeks. They are ment to go in the Xenon fixture. I have the HID Xenons, and what bulbs do you think i'm buying, the ones for Xenon fixtures. Makes sense doesnt it?

RoccoH
4th April 2006, 05:57 AM
That's not the point. It really doesn't matter much if the H4-lamp is filled with Xenon or Halogen from a light output point of view. It's just a Tungsten wire with a current running through it and a inert gas to prolong the life of the filament. A halogen lamp will chemically react with the tungsten wire, prolonging its life. Xenon will not... so buy a H4 filled with halogen.

The bright lights you are referring to are High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights (http://www.halcyon.net/lights/hid-faq.shtml) (or see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp) on wiki), which work something like striplighting or neon-lighting. So no wire inside but a gas that gets "energized". They will need a a transformer and a starter (ballast). Although this is not a big deal to install all of this in a car, the big deal to install HID in a car and to effectively use the higher lighting output is that the reflector of the car is designed for a standard H4 bulb, not for a HID bulb! This means that combining HID lights with the standard H4 reflectors will cause dazzling of the upcoming traffic and you will see less because the light is not properly focused any more...

Shenaniganz
4th April 2006, 06:37 AM
It's possible, and cheaper than you think. I went to a junkyard and pulled the HID ballast, bulb, and everything else that goes to the wiring from a Cadillac Escalade. I only paid $130US :D

ShadowWorks
4th April 2006, 10:30 AM
People mistake Xenon bulbs for the HID system all the time, the number of people that have said to me, nice Xenons and i just cringe:(

Xenon are not the ultra white light that you can get from HID kits.

Getting the ballast and bulbs is the cheapest and best option.

Stick with a good quality Halogen gas filled bulb, Xenon do not give the same light output to be honest.