Car Stalls, Sometime won't start, CE light on. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Car Stalls, Sometime won't start, CE light on.

dcheek
26th October 2009, 12:48 PM
I have a 1999 Saab 9-5, V6 Turbo. Sometimes it will stall at a stoplight or will not start at all. Cranks but will not run. The Check Engine light is now on continuously. I checked with a scanner and came up with the following codes:
P1460- Manufacturer specific code
P0337- Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" circuit low

The car is running now and will start but the CEL is still on. What should I check to diagnose the problem? Is it just a bad CPS or are there other items that could cause these problems?

Dave

gghh
26th October 2009, 12:53 PM
You have a CPS issue and a problem with the key recognition/Twice ecu

dcheek
26th October 2009, 03:36 PM
You have a CPS issue and a problem with the key recognition/Twice ecu

Do the keys need to be "reflashed" or is there a battery in the key fob?

gghh
26th October 2009, 03:47 PM
Its no key battery problem, there is a RFID Chip in the key for the immobilizer. P1460 is starting while immobilzer is active, so the twice hasnt recognized the key.

Start with replacing CPS and clear the codes. If P1460 reappears try the spare key. If the code persists, check the receiver in the ingnition lock.

FireAero
26th October 2009, 03:47 PM
There is a battery in the key fob. Normally you would get a message on the SID stating that the key fob battery needed to be replaced.

gghh
26th October 2009, 03:50 PM
The battery is only for the remote, not for the immobilzer. Different systems. SID Message for this is "key not accepted"

dcheek
28th October 2009, 08:20 AM
I just found this out this morning!!!
My wife tells me the "Service Theft Alarm" comes on the SID occasionally (this is her car). So, there must be something up with that too. I ordered the CPS and will be installing shortly.

I've read something about the backup battery going bad in the alarm module. This might cause the "Service Theft Alarm" to display. There have not been any inadvertent alarm soundings. That symptom seems to be a sign that the battery is bad. So I'm wondering if this is all related to the key recognition issue??

To review:
-I'm going to replace the CPS to take care of code P0337 (hopefully)
-Clear codes
-Start Car
-If CEL comes on with code P1460 clear codes and restart car with spare key
-If CEL still comes on check receiver in ignition lock

My question at this point is will the above procedure take care of the "Service Theft Alarm" prompt on the SID or is this yet another issue?

Dave

gghh
28th October 2009, 08:27 AM
STA is another issue.

dcheek
28th October 2009, 01:11 PM
STA is another issue.

Thanks for the info.

CPS first then I will address the STA.

Dave

dcheek
30th October 2009, 07:29 AM
I replaced the CPS yesterday and cleared the codes. So far so good. The only thing I'm experiencing now is when I insert the key in the ignition and twist, I have a the word "Checking" on the SID and then "Service Theft Alarm" which can be cleared with the button. Both of which do not prevent me from starting the car. Can I assume the battery is bad in the alarm siren module (10 years old) or is this some other problem? Incidentally, I haven't experienced any inadvertent false alarms.

Dave

gghh
30th October 2009, 09:49 AM
STA is most likely bad battery/capacitors in the alarm module. Should not prevent the car from starting, as long as you dont have false alarms you can ignore it.

dcheek
30th October 2009, 10:41 AM
STA is most likely bad battery/capacitors in the alarm module. Should not prevent the car from starting, as long as you dont have false alarms you can ignore it.

Should I change the battery anyway as a preventative measure?

gghh
30th October 2009, 10:48 AM
If you are able to put in new batteries, it cant hurt to do it. There are some threads here how to fix the alarm ecu.

dcheek
30th October 2009, 12:45 PM
If you are able to put in new batteries, it cant hurt to do it. There are some threads here how to fix the alarm ecu.

Thanks, I will check them out.

hamradiosaab
6th February 2010, 12:35 PM
Hello -- Thanks for reading this post? If you can help me, it will be much appreciated.

My green 1999 9-5 SE won't start. I drove it to work without any problem. I went to start it to go home -- it started and ran for about 1/2 second and died and the check engine light came on. I tried multiple times to start it and also with all four of the keys programmed for the car. It is always the same -- The engine will turn over but will not start.

I had it towed home and put it on the OBDII scanner and came up with the P1460 code (Immobilizer active). Very strange. After looking into what this meant, I went to the local Saab dealership to ask them but they don't know what would cause this or what the definitive cure is...

From the postings, I gather that my normally reliable SE no longer recognizes any of the keys. I also have a blank key (one cut for this car) but without the transponder. I am able to crank the car with this key, but of course it would never start with this key since it has no transponder for the car to interrogate -- I wanted to see if the transponder is need to turn the engine over -- apparently it isn't needed.

I also have an identical (red) SE that was involved in a wreck and was totaled. This car is now an "organ donor" for my (black) 2000 9-5 and my (green) 1999 SE (which now won't start)...

If the source of the P1460 error is due to the TWICE module not recognizing the kyes, can I swap the TWICE module from the organ donor car and use its key transponder to fix the problem? I asked the Saab dealership this question and they thought that I would also have to swap out some of the other modules (Jetronic and something else?) too but they were not sure about that. They thought that with the P1460 code that the engine wouldn't even turn over, but this is not correct as it will turn over with just a key cut for the vehicle...

If this will get the car started, and if I then drive it to the dealership and re-install the original TWICE module, would having the dealership reprogram the original TWICE to again accept the four original keys fix the problem? I really don't want to have to replace door locks and the ignition lock...

Can someone please give me some insight here? I really like these cars...

Thanks,
Don