Help with vertical shaft engine? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Help with vertical shaft engine?

TROLLhattenschatten
19th October 2009, 01:36 PM
First off, yes it is done in MS paint in under a minute.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/JHarris829/vse.jpg

Assume that the red square is the engine, green is the vertical shaft, dark blue is the horizontal sprocket that connects to the purple vertical sprocket which is welded to the brown drive sprocket.

Anybody see any potential problems in this design???

TooMany2cvs
19th October 2009, 02:06 PM
Anybody see any potential problems in this design???

Isn't that basically an outboard motor?

TROLLhattenschatten
19th October 2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah...but with a roto-tiller engine and bicycle gears :cheesy:

TooMany2cvs
19th October 2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah...but with a roto-tiller engine and bicycle gears :cheesy:

I think you might have a problem with that last bit - I've never seen a bicycle with bevel gears.

jetman
19th October 2009, 02:19 PM
Why not just a side shaft engine then?

mike saunders
19th October 2009, 02:24 PM
Tip it on its side, and it's a conventional car engine.

l

TROLLhattenschatten
19th October 2009, 02:33 PM
I found the engine, a guy down the street from me was throwing it out and i fixed it - i just needed a new plug :roll::nono;

I was thinking of putting it on it's side but friction drive is very hard to get right.

the bike frame would be modified.

I just need a use for this engine, it runs great and is very powerful...

900t
19th October 2009, 07:59 PM
Problem with welding spinning things is that it has to be perfectly centred and also, balanced (ideally)

Bicycle sprockets working as gears? no dice!

TROLLhattenschatten
19th October 2009, 08:52 PM
What would you suggest i use as gears?

900t
19th October 2009, 09:00 PM
What would you suggest i use as gears?

Gears are a good start :p

Or flip the engine, and use two sprockets and chain.

TROLLhattenschatten
19th October 2009, 09:10 PM
I have a habit of making things too complicated ;oops:

900t
19th October 2009, 09:28 PM
Have you considered becoming an engineer at BMW? :lol:

The Saab Newbie
19th October 2009, 10:02 PM
I found the engine, a guy down the street from me was throwing it out and i fixed it - i just needed a new plug :roll::nono;

I was thinking of putting it on it's side but friction drive is very hard to get right.

the bike frame would be modified.

I just need a use for this engine, it runs great and is very powerful...

I work at Briggs and Stratton, put it on a deck and mow with it. It works for millions of others around the world :lol:. Although I don't know what brand it is? Believe it or not "there are very few" if any fuel injected small displacement vertical shaft engines and most still use float feed carbs. Vertical engines are designed to run as such. Oil and fuel are you biggest worries when changing orientation. Gravity is a ***** Good luck.

Cuba
19th October 2009, 10:49 PM
My first engine to play with was the Briggs & Stratton on our retired lawn mower. Lovely mower, with the rear roller and such. As far as I remember the drive shaft came out the side to a series of sprockets and chains to run the blade and roller, all under a cover on the side of the mower.
Original muffler rusted off and dad (plumber) bent up some copper pipe and put together a funky little thing with a flared end. Way to drive this bad boy to squat on top (being very careful not to get a running sparkplug up the date), weight forward, let the clutch go. So long as you don't fall in the blades or flip it, you can do quite a decent wheelie....for a mower. Still mowed and all. :p
I've been on many a go-cart with this very same engine. As for the down shaft, wouldn't a motorcycle shaftdrive do the trick?

TROLLhattenschatten
19th October 2009, 11:51 PM
Cuba - didn't think of shaft drive, although i did thing of using a CV joint from a car :lol:

SAAB newbie - It's some no name crap, two-stroke so orientation is no problem, i could run it upside down and backwards :cheesy: