Adding a some extra power to my saab 92 9000 2.3 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Adding a some extra power to my saab 92 9000 2.3

Davess4
3rd April 2002, 06:06 PM
I have a Saab 1992 Saab 9000, just about perfect shape, My dad bought it new in 92 and gave it to me last summer, I don't know a great deal about cars, but I love my saab, and I love the way it drives, I would just like to get a little more power out of it. What would people recomend? Everything is stock on it right now. Would adding a turbocharger be an option? And what does installing one entale? is there a lot of other changes that need to be made to the car? Thanks guys. Oh and by the way hello, this is a great looking board.

tertsi
4th April 2002, 12:57 AM
Hey!
Nice car you have there! I think the BEST way to tune car is turbocharger, it's quite cheap way to get power and it doesn't raise your fuel consumption much. One thing you must do is to put down your compression. this could be done with your original pistons, just count the amount of metal to take of from your piston head.You should get it about to 9.0:1. Of course you must buy turbo fuel injection components, clutch, exhaust manifold and intercooler, air pipes, new exhaust pipe. That's about it. But if you don't put turbocharger i'd say that new camshafts, tuning chip, cold air intake, steel exhaust manifold, exchaust pipe, i think that kind of tuning should bring some hp but not like turbocharger, this is my opinion!:) (:

Davess4
4th April 2002, 11:43 PM
Thanks, How much do these options run, and where would you get the parts from?

Fan-TC
5th April 2002, 04:58 AM
I dont think changes to the compression via altering the head desing is a good idea.

Adding a turbo to a NA engine is always going to be a low boost application, you are better looking at some awesome torque than all out power...

As far as i know the turbo and NA comp ratios are not greatly different as the 2.3t runs fairly high compression for a turbo engine. (both about 9:1 i think)
You are down a few things on a turbo engine such as piston oil squirters and such, therefor a really low boost application with a small turbo (a stock turbo manifold with the garret t25 used on 95 onwards (i think) cars. Then you got the problem with management and all that...

It is really more trouble and money than it is worth, you got a nice car, just enjoy.

(sorry about all the "I THINKS", i am a bit more of a 900 fan)

Davess4
6th April 2002, 01:22 AM
thanks man. The info is appreciated!
I think I will just keep trying to learn a little more about he car, and enjoy my driving.