'98 9000 CSE.. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: '98 9000 CSE..

3zos
25-09-03, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone, new to the forum, already have gleaned a fair amount from it regardless :p

to the point: I've just recently purchased a '98 CSE 2.3t with 30k miles on it, impeccably maintained, and well gosh, the choices :)

initially im replacing stock dump valve, and putting in a K&N sport air filter. the latter choices somewhat baffle me.

ECU upgrade: from what i've gathered, abbottracing is one of the few that actually supply to the US. what are your opinions of them as a whole?

Exhaust upgrade: AR downpipes again, catback, as this is the only supplier i know of or have been made aware of in the US. opinions?

Suspension upgrades: as of yet undecided.. for a more secure ride yet reasonable drive noise/ drive comfort, any recommendations? i suppose ill lop the idea of improved brake system in here to boot.

mind you, im happy enough as it is to be getting one of the finer cars ever produced :p the tuning would be icing on the cake. so if anyone has any outright suggestions or sublime commentary, please feel free to say so :p

3zos, hailing from midwest USA

Simon
26-09-03, 05:23 AM
Welcome to Saabcentral!

You can also get Speedparts/BSR ECU upgrades from http://www.genuinesaab.com

and Nordic tuning upgrades from http://www.nordicsaab.com/en_US/

Again Genuine Saab and Wigwam Saab can supply sports exhausts systems.

Koni dampers seem to be one of the more popular choices. Koni kits can be purchased at www.partsforsaabs.com. PFS also offer a wide range of upgraded braking systems.

Friberg
26-09-03, 06:27 AM
Maptun www.maptun.com also have an distributor in the US

Group 9 Performance, LLC
James T. Dale
84 Savoy Street
Providence, RI
USA
Mobil: 401-421-4876
Epost: james@group9performance.com
Web: www.group9performance.com

I haven't used any Abbot program, but from what I've heard about their upgrades I wouldn't do that either.

3zos
26-09-03, 09:40 AM
Friberg: if i may be so bold as to inquire, what stories have you heard? trying to establish an opinion, specifically about the ecu upgrade. the local saab dealer here has tuned cars hes owned with abbott, and a few others have said they do a bang up job.. reasons in particular going with them is a bad idea?

regards
ezos

Friberg
26-09-03, 10:50 AM
Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut on this one... ;)

But anyway - here it goes:
First of all, a Saab tuner that sells a "Manual Boost Control/Bleed Valve" is for me really worrying. It takes away all the security that's built into the Trionic ECU and allows you to get a higher boost without compansate with more fuel and adjusting the ignition...

Then I dont think that they get the results they should be able to with the modifications they sell. The swedish Saab tuners get more hp's with less modifications. Abbot only seems to have one ECU upgrade (+40 hp) and then you add different hardware if you want more power. What they seem to have missed is that to get the maximum out of for example a 3" exhaust you need a different program. You cant really simplify things and say that you get 10 hp increase with a new IC, 10/12 hp increase with a gas-flowed cylinder head etc since all parts have to work together.

If you choose Maptun, BSR, Nordic or any of the swedish tuners you can easily choose how much power you want and get a program that is specifically designed for that.

3zos
26-09-03, 10:37 PM
Thanks for clarifying, that was a question raised in my mind as well.. seemed too oversimplified.