TPMS Sensor Part Number? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: TPMS Sensor Part Number?

same2you
27th August 2009, 09:40 PM
Yes, I know that it's still summer, but I am starting to think about getting some new winter tyres mounted on my old Saab winter rims for my new convertible's first winter.

This is the first Saab that I've had that has TPMS, and I figure that if the price isn't too outrageous, I'll pick up whatever is needed to have the TPMS functioning with my winter rubber too.

In looking around, I'm finding a bunch of different part numbers, and I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I need to know...

1. Are the sensors all that I would need to get a second set of wheels working, or is there another component that I would need aswell?

2. What is the part number for the correct sensors? I have a 2008 2.0T Convertible with the 17" Rim package.

3. Has anyone had any negative experiences with aftermarket sensors that are designed to replace the factory sensors?

4. Should I just forget about the sensors and have the dealership disable the TPMS system in the fall and re-enable it in the spring?

Thanks in Advance!

Kandiru
27th August 2009, 11:23 PM
www.tirerack.com

The buck stops with them. They messed up the sensors last year, and had them replaced free of cost at my dealer. I upgraded to 18" winters and this
time they came with right sensors.

Pretty much everyhing you order there is closely matched to our cars.

They even know the offset for the Turbo X, of which 600 only exist in the US, kudos to their techs!

If you call tech support they will quote you the correct Schraeder sensor numbers.

kevinr1916
29th August 2009, 06:52 PM
I can post the sensor part numbers a bit later as mine are sitting on my work bench. They won't fit in my BBS wheels, so are going back in the stock wheels when my snow tires arrive.

I will tell you, the dealership will NOT touch the system as far as disabling it. TPMS is required by Federal Law, and they site this as to why they won't mess with it. In theory, it may be possible to put the system into "snow tire mode" where if it doesn't see all four sensors it shuts off. I have been trying to get my hands on an updated enough Tech II to see if this is even possible in the US. This is the default in Europe. Luckily, it is not too much of a bother to not have the sensors. You get a warning on the SID that you need to hit CLR to remove, and the warning light on the dash blinks for 15 seconds then stays on. I've been living with it all summer.

The cheapest I have found genuine GM sensors is $65 each. Unfortunately, while they are a standard GM part, the only cars that use them in the States are Saabs and some Saturn models, so they are not particularly common.

same2you
30th August 2009, 10:56 PM
Hi KevinR... That brings up a good question; is the part number linked to the TPMS system, or the rims that they fit onto? The reason that I ask is becasue I would be attempting to fit the sensors into rims from an older 95 that I have used as winter rims for the past 5 years.

I found this site which seems to have the most options for sensors... http://tpmsoutlet.com/saab.aspx . There's only one set that has an outrageous price (which I'm sure will end up being the ones that I need)

Thanks!

kevinr1916
31st August 2009, 12:04 AM
Hi KevinR... That brings up a good question; is the part number linked to the TPMS system, or the rims that they fit onto? The reason that I ask is becasue I would be attempting to fit the sensors into rims from an older 95 that I have used as winter rims for the past 5 years.

I found this site which seems to have the most options for sensors... http://tpmsoutlet.com/saab.aspx . There's only one set that has an outrageous price (which I'm sure will end up being the ones that I need)

Thanks!

No, not exactly. The reason they won't fit my BBS wheels is that the valve stem hole on the BBS RV is in the little raised, hollow box sort of arrangement. This is not an issue for a regular rubber valve stem, but the TPMS sensors have the big box that is the actual sensor that must sit flat against the back of the hole. So they won't work in the valve stem hole. What I can do is install them in the middle of the wheels with bands, but as the tire shop had my tires off the stock wheels before they discovered that the sensors wouldn't fit, and did not have any bands, I just am doing without until I can get another set of sensors. Well, I actually will likely not install them until I replace the tires on the BBS wheels (factory Pirellis). I am hoping by then the sensors will get cheaper too, or I can find a used set.

Bottom line is as long as the valve stem hole is on a good-sized flat area of the wheel, you should be OK. Eyeballing the sensor in my hot little hand, I would say it needs to be roughly .5" x 1.25".

Part number on the sensor is 13227143, Made in UK by Schrader Electronics, nice big GM mark on there. Also a number of PA66-GF35 on there too.

Of course, this is the expensive one on the site linked, but I have found them as low as $65. Still too rich for my blood, I'd like to see them around $35.

Hope this helps!

skyline
17th March 2010, 11:15 AM
I am in the middle of hooking up the Parrot 9200. In testing I note I can only hear audio if the radio is on. Is that correct? I also have had no luck with the special cable for the steering wheel control option. I may send it to you after I am exhausted.;oops:

Debashis
17th March 2010, 11:31 AM
Kevin is correct, the part number is 13227143 ... saabpartsonline sells them for $45.86 a piece.

kevinr1916
17th March 2010, 11:37 AM
I am in the middle of hooking up the Parrot 9200. In testing I note I can only hear audio if the radio is on. Is that correct? I also have had no luck with the special cable for the steering wheel control option. I may send it to you after I am exhausted.;oops:

Yes, that is correct, the radio must be on for the Parrot to work. Also, the radio volume must be turned up beyond the minimum level. I assume that turning the radio all the way down or off shuts the amp off.

Bummer about the cable - I was hoping that would work!

-Kevin

kevinr1916
17th March 2010, 11:38 AM
Kevin is correct, the part number is 13227143 ... saabpartsonline sells them for $45.86 a piece.

Getting more reasonable! And those guys are usually fairly expensive for parts, so mayber elsewhere is cheaper still. Just put my summer wheels back on last night, so getting the warning and light again. Annoying.

-Kevin

BadBrains
18th March 2010, 10:18 PM
When installing a new set of wheels with new TPMS sensors, keep in mind that they will need to be "married" to the car once you put the new wheels on. The TPMS system in the vehicle will not recognize the new sensors otherwise, it will still be looking for the original sensors.

This may require a specialized tool at the dealer, who will probably only activate genuine GM sensors, or an indy shop. We use a tool called the Bartec Tech 400 to read and then write each sensor's id to the cars computer via the OBDII port. I'm not sure whether Saab uses the same 'relearn' procedure as GM cars. If so, the relearn procedure can be done without any special tools.

Aftermarket sensors are cheaper than dealer parts and are essentially the same thing. They are simple devices, they read the tire pressure and broadcast it to the car like a bluetooth headset.

kevinr1916
19th March 2010, 02:00 AM
Oddly enough, this is not true for a 9-3 (at least MY08+) - the sensors are NOT married to the car. I have confirmed this by putting a wheel from a friend's car on mine and going for a drive. It was perfectly happy. Initially got a warning, then after 10 miles the light went out and stayed out.

Probably the only electrical bit on the car that doesn't need a Tech-II.

-Kevin

BadBrains
21st March 2010, 06:17 PM
Oddly enough, this is not true for a 9-3 (at least MY08+) - the sensors are NOT married to the car. I have confirmed this by putting a wheel from a friend's car on mine and going for a drive. It was perfectly happy. Initially got a warning, then after 10 miles the light went out and stayed out.

Probably the only electrical bit on the car that doesn't need a Tech-II.

-Kevin

That is interesting. I've seen this with Ford cars, but honestly I don't have much experience with Saab TPMS systems. What year and model was your friend's car?

kevinr1916
22nd March 2010, 04:46 PM
That is interesting. I've seen this with Ford cars, but honestly I don't have much experience with Saab TPMS systems. What year and model was your friend's car?

Another '08 9-3. We swapped - my wheel worked fine on his, his worked fine on mine. AFAIK, you just have to drive 10 miles or so. Really, there is no earthly reason to marry the things to the car, they have a transmit range of 10 feet or so.

$45 is getting to where I might cough up the cash for a second set of them, but not until I have to change the tires anyway. Probably get 1.5 more seasons out of the Pirellis. They have dropped $20 in a year, maybe they will be down to $25 each by then! :lol:

-Kevin

kevinr1916
22nd March 2010, 04:48 PM
One more interesting tidbit about the TPMS - even with NO sensors on the car, it still works. I was rolling along last summer and got a "Front right tire low" message. I checked, and sure enough it was ~5lbs low - I had a nail in the tire. I assume it is using the ABS sensors to compute differential wheel speed as a backup to the sensors. Pretty neat!

So does anyone have any idea how long the sensors actually last?

-Kevin

96mn12
9th February 2011, 02:52 PM
Ive heard of people that have had the sensors for over 5 years...

96mn12
9th February 2011, 04:08 PM
$45 is getting to where I might cough up the cash for a second set of them, but not until I have to change the tires anyway.

-Kevin

Well unfortunately they're raising their prices considerably, their "processing and handling" is ludicrous compared to last year. They charge 45 bucks to ship four tiny sensors, which can easily fit on a priority mail box at 10 bucks...

And the sensors are now 48...