Shift socket/spring replacement [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Shift socket/spring replacement

SOAB
13-08-09, 12:40 PM
When I bought my 1995 Aero the little ring that holds the ball on the shifter kept popping out, so I got a replacement, but Im not sure how to get it replaced other than taking the shift knob off (which seems like a process that will require me to get a new shift knob) and I have NO idea how the spring goes. So if anybody could help with this it would be MUCH appreciated!

Superaero
13-08-09, 08:10 PM
If it is like other 9000 shift knobs the ring is essentially a circlip or snap ring. The shift knob "simply" pulls off upwards and as you pull that spring ring inside the shift knob is supposed to expand and allow the knob to com eoff. To re-install you push the shift knob firmly down onto the lever until you feel the spring ring click into the groove in the shift lever. The knob is pretty hard to take off. In my shop manual it shows the steps as taking the shift lever housing out in its entirety and using mallet and an open ended wrench as a method of popping the knob off.

If the "spring" you are replacing is the circlip inside the shift knob then this is the way to get that knob off. How you remove the old spring and insert the new one I don't know but it shouild be fairly obvious.

If the spring you are replacing is the reverse lock out spring (the one that you pull against when you lift the lockout collar to engage reverse) which is concentric with the shift lever, then you must first remove the knob, replace the spring and replace the knob.

As I say, the shop manual shows this being done with the shifter mechanism removed from the car in it's entirety. To do this you pull up the rubber or leather shift gaiter to access the mounting screws. You will need to remove the gaiter bezel which has one screw at the front and then remove the console surrounding the shifter which is an elaborate procedure. There are two screws at the front of this part of the console, then the handbrake brush seal comes out and the window lift panel complete with switches, disconnecting the plugs. The rear console screws are accessible after moving the seats forward. The rear ashtray comes out. Then you remove the side trim from the console under the dash to allow access to the shifter mechanism. The rear and front air ducts for heating the floor are removed. Then the four mounting bolts for the shifter are accessible.To remove the shift lever housing complete you need to release the end of the horizontal shifter rod from the bottom of the shift lever after releasing those four bolts. This makes it easier to remove the shift knob and spring. Apparently the spring and "actuator" come off the shift lever as one piece but are secured by a small dowel that needs to be drifted out. Before you do that the shop manual says you are to remove the lever from the housing by removing the circlip (snapring).

How much of this total disassembly you must actually do to to replace the part you need to I cannot say. I know I have driven a 9000 in which the shift knob came off in my hand during a test drive. I just rammed it back on. I doubt that spring can be changed in that manner, however you never know until you get in there.

SOAB
14-08-09, 01:08 PM
Ok, finally got the shift knob off! The comment about an open ended wrench helped alpt cause after alot of pulling I read your post for the like 5th time and then tightened some needle nose pliers just bigger than the shaft and put it under the white piece and it just popped off! lol

So putting the new socket and sping in I think I have figured out how it goes but I want to double check.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2648/3820306839_d6bf5dbde2.jpg
Does it go like that (stretched out more and under the tabs though boviously) This pic is oriented front of the car up. So if someone knows or could pop their shft boot real quick and taqke a quick snap that would be AWESOME! Thanks!

SOAB
30-08-09, 12:01 AM
http://www.users.qwest.net/%7Ecarrieosborne/DSCN5336.jpg
Unfortunately found this after I finished. Hopefully this will help someone in the future though!

Jeff325
31-08-09, 01:41 AM
I don't mind if you used the photo taken from one of my posts, but please give me credit for the photo!

SOAB
31-08-09, 11:03 AM
My fault. I didnt mean to take credit, I simply meant to centralize info to help someone else out in the future.
I cant edit that post anymore but Thanks to Jeff325 For the photo!

Superaero
31-08-09, 10:08 PM
Woah, now we have to give credit for info. this is NOT an academic institution. This is democracy in action. Ask a Chinese person how important the Internet is to freedom.

Anyway, GREAT photos from Jeff325. The irony of using a nom de plume and asking for recognition should not be lost on us all. I am Superaero only because using my real name on that "other" board (TSN) eventually got me barred by the moderator nazi who didn't like my criticism of his...er...fascism!

Jeff325
01-09-09, 12:30 AM
It's perfectly fine with me if someone wants to use a photo I took, and it would have been nice to have a referral back to my original posting with the photo.