Project Mayhem [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Project Mayhem

Real Lyte
12th August 2009, 10:29 PM
Well, I have made a decision as far as my car funds go. I originally wanted to spiff up my '99 Subaru Forester (my utilitarian love), but it is too far utilitarian for me to go and mod it when I use it purely for utility (I am a man of practicality). To quench my thirst for tinkering/modding I picked up an '89 Saab 900 Turbo Vert, stick and hopefully I'm not going in over my head but here it goes...

I will compile a restore log and to be modded list when I make a full inspection later this week.

I am very busy this summer (marriage, job, school, etc.) but I have always wanted a project car and I decided no amount of mayhem can stop me now... Let Project Mayhem begin!

Prelim pics (needs to be detailed still):

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/apewade/Saab%20900s/IMG_0632.jpg
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/apewade/Saab%20900s/IMG_0633.jpg
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/apewade/Saab%20900s/IMG_0634.jpg
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/apewade/Saab%20900s/IMG_0636.jpg

Work recently done:

-rebuilt cv axles
-brakes all around
-multiple gaskets (primarily valve cover gaskets)
-Turbo was rebuilt
-Timing chain was replaced
-Spectre CAI Filter installed.

To be Fixed:

-Minor rust areas on wheel arches and under car
-Needs Distributor seal, shift linkage seal
-minor leaks in rag top
-Needs new leather
-Need new dash, current is cracked
-A few weird electrical quirks (mainly speedometer illumination)
-AC (if I really want it, but I don't)
-Needs new tires (very close to slicks now lol, suggestions?)
-minor trim pieces need to be replaced
-Check Engine light is on

To be modded (after ALL fixes):

-Upgrade IC and Turbo
-SPG body kit

List subject to change hehe...(feel free to throw ideas out, I'm new to turbos).

Real Lyte
13th August 2009, 01:15 PM
Pictures Updated from my vacuum session today :p

Real Lyte
14th August 2009, 09:33 PM
Main projects that need to be done before snow:

Protection for the car, still debating car cover or carport kit (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f76/car-port-suggestion-buy-build-58288/) and the top has lost its water repellence so I have to dry it out every day it rains. I presume I can reseal the top with stuff similar to that spray sealer for tents. The top has 0 holes though and looks great for its age so it just needs a new sealant.

After that I can finish my all around cleaning which will involve washing, clay bar, wax, carpet cleaning, engine bay cleanup (on the bottom there is a hefty amount of grease, yum).

The rest I'll be plinking away at throughout the winter and saving for bigger ones for next summer (ie the tires).

VikingSpirit
18th August 2009, 06:44 PM
Thats a pretty severe looking crease in the fender behind the front wheel there :o, looks like the cars been in a frontal impact at some point the way its bowed out like that. I would take it to one of those places that does laser alignment and check that the chassis hasn't twisted before you go spending money on it. No point fixing it if the frame is twisted as it will never drive right...

Real Lyte
18th August 2009, 08:30 PM
Thats a pretty severe looking crease in the fender behind the front wheel there :o, looks like the cars been in a frontal impact at some point the way its bowed out like that. I would take it to one of those places that does laser alignment and check that the chassis hasn't twisted before you go spending money on it. No point fixing it if the frame is twisted as it will never drive right...

Yeah I noticed that, there was no weird movements while running it hard on the test drive at least. Rides straight n true.

But even so, running carfax as we speak...

ooopseyesharted
23rd August 2009, 06:39 PM
Nice looking ride, but as already said.....it looks to of been hit.

Hopefully all is well. Keep us posted man.

Rennsport1
23rd August 2009, 06:43 PM
Great car. Definitely worth rehab.

Real Lyte
23rd August 2009, 07:08 PM
Carfax is clean, but as we all know sometimes they are wrong too, rides fine, so idc at this point. Waiting for my new carport to come so I don't have to keep dodging rain and give it a good 'ol wax job. Overall the car has been well cared for and driven as a daily driver so I know its functional, just needs to cosmetic love and some tuning. Heading back to school tomorrow so the tinkering must wait a month for my return, at which point engine bay cleanup and rust will be the priority.

Real Lyte
25th August 2009, 05:11 PM
Update: I'm at college contemplating my future mods and repairs, can't wait to be home again in two weeks to tinker away. I tried ordering a carport from harborfreight after spending some time deciding only to get notice that its on backorder most likely until sept 28th! Bummer. I found a backup carport that is smaller and comes with side skirts but it costs more; I will opt to get the backup if the one I chose stays on backorder until snowfall (the main reason I wanted one). My FIL is running my precious every weekend and making sure she doesn't get in trouble why I'm gone...lol. I also added STABIL (fuel stabilizer) to the fuel to avoid any sitting issues while its being tinkered with and not on the road, cheap insurance against gunk buildup and freezing lines. Now off to classes tomorrow...woo...wait...:confused:

philjohnhb
26th August 2009, 12:48 PM
As the drivers door is a replacement (it has the later '92,3 &4 spoiler attachment below the glass) I suspect that the drivers door was crunched at some time and that the damage to the lower wing is part of the result of that impact and not that of a frontal impact. I'm not surprised it drives OK as that damage looks insignificant.

Good luck with the project.

Real Lyte
26th August 2009, 02:50 PM
As the drivers door is a replacement (it has the later '92,3 &4 spoiler attachment below the glass) I suspect that the drivers door was crunched at some time and that the damage to the lower wing is part of the result of that impact and not that of a frontal impact. I'm not surprised it drives OK as that damage looks insignificant.

Good luck with the project.

Yeah, that was my guess also, eventually I want that trim on the other door too, much body work to be had here. I was thinking someone clobbered the door thus curving the front panel but no structural components. Thanks for the reassurance hehe, many naysayers here got me doubting the carfax (that came up clean) even though I know the door had been replaced before. All these little things will be worked out over the winter here hopefully so that the my saving for larger fixes/upgrades can be had this next summer.

philjohnhb
27th August 2009, 03:45 AM
Yeah, that was my guess also, eventually I want that trim on the other door too, much body work to be had here. I was thinking someone clobbered the door thus curving the front panel but no structural components. Thanks for the reassurance hehe, many naysayers here got me doubting the carfax (that came up clean) even though I know the door had been replaced before. All these little things will be worked out over the winter here hopefully so that the my saving for larger fixes/upgrades can be had this next summer.

If you go for the same trim on the other door you'll have to replace the other 3 parts of the spoiler as the old and the new are not compatable in any way.

Real Lyte
27th August 2009, 10:13 AM
If you go for the same trim on the other door you'll have to replace the other 3 parts of the spoiler as the old and the new are not compatable in any way.

Definitely something to consider I guess, I am missing a few different trim pieces (as many have noticed) so later on after I get the body work done it really depends which parts of trim I can source then.

Real Lyte
21st September 2009, 09:17 PM
Well another chapter of Project Mayhem was completed this weekend, nothing too big, but complicated. To start, we drove back to our hometown ~90miles after school Friday, then I did a retarded amount of yardwork, got dinner, did routine oil change/maintenance on the legacy and by then it was freaking late. Woke up worked 10 hour shift at Autozone came back and the fun started. The carport had come and it NEEDED to be done this weekend as we get snow in October regularly and I wouldn't be back for another month. The carport itself is well constructed for being 200 bucks, but the instructions sucked butt, they were literally scribbles from some poor slave in China. Fiddled with it after work on Saturday night, then went to bed. Another 10 hour shift sunday starting bright n early at 7:45 today, then get home and finished the beast of a carport, no more tarps of shame on Project Mayhem!

Hide and Seek!
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/apewade/Saab%20900s/0920091816.jpg
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/apewade/Saab%20900s/0920091817.jpg

I just drove back to my apartment and am fried, can't wait until another month, then i'll be back to get greasy with Project Mayhem with it's first oil change/wash/wax job done by me!

Carport mod=win.