SaabCentral Forums banner

A 'Should I buy this?' Thread.

879 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DinoSorcerer! 
#1 ·
Okay guys,

I'm looking for a winter vehicle for myself at this point. I really love the first Saab I've purchased and now am looking into another. On Craigslist, I've found a 1995 9000 Turbo with 167,000 miles on it. The owner states, "We believe the turbo went out this past weekend." The CV axle also clicks, but that isn't a huge deal for me.

I called him and asked about the supposedly faulty turbocharger. He said, "My son was driving it to work last week, and it seemed like the gas pedal stuck to the floor!" I asked him if it smoked on startup, and he said it didn't. He stated it only makes some type of noise when the throttle is open on it. I hadn't asked much past that as I have to go to work in 30 minutes.

What are my options and what could it be? Also, what should I look for?

#3 ·
If the turbo is gone it is not difficult but it is expensive to fix. In New Zealand any thing from NZ$1000-2000. I know I just did mine. You need to hear it start when cold, first time in the morning, and listen for timing/balance chain rattle. Again I have just done this on my griffin, easy enough but expensive for parts, NZ$1000.00 for parts bought in from PFS.

#5 ·
Also, he said the noise is coming from the engine and started after the incident with the turbocharger. I guess that could be rod knock, right? :confused:

Am I getting in over my head here for $400? The car initially looks pretty nice in the pictures and the body damage on the fender is nothing I can't straighten out.

#6 ·
it would be nice if it's only a vacuum leak...listen for the noise if near (or under) the throttle body.. in the area of the iac... a vacuum leak can cause an rpm jump also the mystery noise...is the car an aero ? if so they use a different axle just a heads up before you run to a parts store that will have to "special order it"....does the car have TCS? (didn't think they were still using it in 1995)...i guess the best think is to go out and have a listen for your self..keep us posted and we'll try to help out the best we can...good luck

#8 ·
Well, I did purchase it, and still, a steal if I may say so. I was able to purchase it for $200 and had it towed 40 miles back for $100. I haven't torn it apart yet, but I'm going to attribute that noise to rod knock of some kind. It would be nice if I could get by with just rings and bearings, but it sounds pretty bad. Maybe I'm lucky and it's just a timing chain. Either way, I can part the car out for much more if I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a used motor.

The car looks great for the price and I'd love to repair it. I'll see what I can do and post pictures of the thing later. It came with the remainder of a GReddy Profec Electronic Boost Controller and a TurboXS RFL-looking BOV. It's going to be fun if I can get it running okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.