Saab to produce sports RWD sports car [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab to produce sports RWD sports car

Munki
18-09-03, 01:21 PM
From Auto Express

VX Lightening Fizzles Out

Lightening doesn't strike twice - that's the message from GM, which has sensationally axed plans to build Vauxhall's VX Lightning, successor to the VX220.

Speaking at the Frankfurt Motor Show, GM chairman Bob Lutz said: "A decision will be announced in January, but it's very unlikely that the Lightning will be built because it doesn't comply with European pedestrian safety laws. To do so, it would need a smaller engine or a pedestrian-friendly bonnet, neither of which is a production possibility."

Instead, the Lightning's rear-wheel-drive chassis will underpin a new Saab sports car, to be unveiled next year. The two-seater will be the firm's first rear-drive car, and its first sports model since the Sonnet was axed in 1974. Lutz added: "We're looking to at least double Saab output over the next two to three years and will introduce new products starting with the 9-2, then the sports car and other projects."

20Ted
18-09-03, 02:22 PM
Woohoo! A new Sonnett - as long as Saab gets all the say in it!

Draken
19-09-03, 07:25 AM
Great! This is what Saab needs. 9-2 will be made in Japan and now this RWD-thing. :(
What next, 1.6 litre engines and "rice-it-up"-body kits? I hope that this will eventually be good for the Saab-brand but I doubt it. Of course most of the best sports cars are RWD but why can`t Saab make an exception. If this is what future will be goodbye unique Saab, welcome "just like anything else" Saab.

Let`s hope that this new car will be great and everything I said above will be just a wrong suspicion.

squishmann
19-09-03, 07:26 AM
something w/ a saab badge that moves fast, oh yeah

SPG900
19-09-03, 10:44 AM
It's not just the badge that makes a Saab, is it.

bassist5
19-09-03, 09:43 PM
Great! This is what Saab needs. 9-2 will be made in Japan and now this RWD-thing. :(
What next, 1.6 litre engines and "rice-it-up"-body kits? I hope that this will eventually be good for the Saab-brand but I doubt it. Of course most of the best sports cars are RWD but why can`t Saab make an exception. If this is what future will be goodbye unique Saab, welcome "just like anything else" Saab.

Let`s hope that this new car will be great and everything I said above will be just a wrong suspicion.

Heh, I agree with you 100%. I am also horrified at the idea of a Saab build on a Subaru chassis or whatever the hell it shares with it. I hope this'll be a genuine sports car, not some cheap copy of the Caddy XLR. Granted, the XLR isn't a bad car, but it would be nice to have a true Saab.

20Ted
20-09-03, 12:24 AM
I hope this'll be a genuine sports car, not some cheap copy of the Caddy XLR. Granted, the XLR isn't a bad car, but it would be nice to have a true Saab.

...horrible thought just crossed my mind...I wondered where the Chevy Camaro had gone... :-?

SPG900
20-09-03, 07:15 AM
Lol... A Saab Camaro? :nono;

I'm pretty sure this sports car will be a more or less genuine Saab design, unlike the 9-2. What bothers me though is the RWD. I might have agreed with AWD, but rear wheel... I dunno.
Also, I don't want it to be like other sportscars, and please... not yet another roadster. The 9-X would have been a great new Sonett. Something altogether different from the Z4, TT, SLK, 350Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

If it is as great and groundbreaking as the RX-8, I'll be pleased.

bassist5
20-09-03, 09:41 AM
Lol... A Saab Camaro? :nono;

I'm pretty sure this sports car will be a more or less genuine Saab design, unlike the 9-2. What bothers me though is the RWD. I might have agreed with AWD, but rear wheel... I dunno.
Also, I don't want it to be like other sportscars, and please... not yet another roadster. The 9-X would have been a great new Sonett. Something altogether different from the Z4, TT, SLK, 350Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

If it is as great and groundbreaking as the RX-8, I'll be pleased.

Or if GM was feeling REALLY cheap, they could build it off of that new GTO, which is nothing but a rebadged Vauxhall. Speaking of the AWD, isn't the 9-2 supposed to be AWD, or offer it?

garry
20-09-03, 01:36 PM
all stepping in the right direction... They have to make sure they are not compeating on performance....today you can make a car qo as quickly as you want to..
Who cares any more?!... build quality, feel, luxury and individuality must surely reign over performance... if not, its the same as any other cars out there.

and the saab based on the scuuube....... as long as it looks nothing like the scube at all it may well work. but only as a stepping stone to a greater all saab design.

Licence
20-09-03, 03:07 PM
If SAAB can make the 9-3SS off the humdrum Vectra, imagine what they could do off the Impreza...
But I'd agree about the looks; the only bad things about the Impreza are the looks and that ugly, cheapo dashboard.

stew
21-09-03, 02:33 PM
A thought just crossed my mind.........if vauxhall can't produce it due to the need to fit a smaller engine, Saab could put in that prototype 1600 engine they were working on (by the way, what happened to that?), which i believe could produce 300bhp. Imagine - a two seater rear wheel drive 300bhp Saab wearing a sonnett badge! If the civil service didn't pay so poorly i'd be first in the queue!

900t
21-09-03, 08:16 PM
Or if GM was feeling REALLY cheap, they could build it off of that new GTO, which is nothing but a rebadged Vauxhall. Speaking of the AWD, isn't the 9-2 supposed to be AWD, or offer it?

GTO is a Holden design, with rebadging, and new exhaust and engine tuning differences and a stiffer suspension (The Holden is more of a luxury touring car, while the GTO is supposed to be a muscle car)

The GTO couldn't be a Vauxhall car since the car is both way too large for success in Europe, and don't forget that 5.7 litre V8! (which gets superb gas milage tho)

garry
22-09-03, 11:02 AM
I must say I have to dissagree about a very large car for the european market being a bad idea.
I think saab would certainly turn some heads if they released for example a Bently beater. They would only require a flagship small run of this super spec exec beast to make their point..... what point?...... 'the daddy' point.

Who's the daddy ?

why SAAB of course!

even if they break even or loose money releasing such a car it would boost sales of all the other models....the aspirational effect.

8valvegrowl
23-09-03, 05:52 PM
My feeling is that the Sonnett should and probably will follow the basic philosophy of the original Sonnetts: It will be light, good handling, and a coupe (with maybe a roadster variant). My instinct is to say that it will be closely related to the new Pontiac Solstice, and I say that's a good thing. AWD on a sports car? who the h#*% are you kidding? AWD weighs too much, look at the Audi TT, that's NOT a sports car, its an overweight POS that doesn't handle, accelerate, or stop like a sports car. RWD is the best choice layout for what basically amounts to a backroads/track toy, no if's and's or but's. I love that the old Sonnetts are FWD, but frankly, if I'm going to buy a dedicated sports car that's new, it'd better be RWD, otherwise I'll just stick with my MGB. I hope it will be simple and affordable, those things will make it sell better than anything else.

iandonald
25-09-03, 06:48 PM
The Vauxhall VX220 was based on the Lotus Elise. IMHO the only thing wrong with it, which GM have now realised, was the Vauxhall badge. No-one thinks of Vauxhall as a "Lotus" type brand - it should have been a Saab Sonnett when they launched it in the first place! Now they have realised their mistake...

garry
29-09-03, 08:28 PM
I would like to see something like this.

zingZACH
01-10-03, 01:20 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing something like this..... but only in the junkyard ready to be CRUSHED!!!! :cheesy: :wink: :) 8) :lol:

hsvsaab
25-10-05, 04:15 PM
http://www.racecar2000.com/ad-photos/3351-mod.jpg
how about THIS? I'd enjoy being seen in it.

10K at giocars.com He also has a Sonnett II for sale.

Alex_Saab
25-10-05, 05:23 PM
This is great news!! it sounds like GM (specifically Saab) finally wants to get competitive in the performance car market. Saab engineering without the limits of FWD is def. something to look forward to.

nourdmrolnmt1
25-10-05, 05:40 PM
This is great news!! it sounds like GM (specifically Saab) finally wants to get competitive in the performance car market. Saab engineering without the limits of FWD is def. something to look forward to.

you did realize that this thread was posted 2 years ago didnt you?

rjns
25-10-05, 05:42 PM
The Vauxhall Lightning was basically the same as the Saturn Sky (except for more hp and a mid-engine). I saw it on Top Gear a few weeks ago and am surprised they won't offer it since the handling on it was amazing.

I hope this isn't going to be just another rebadge, but it is a roadster.

SaabKen
25-10-05, 07:57 PM
Sheesh, I had to do a double-take on the first couple posts, then checked the date .... yeah right, pre-9-2X !

Funny cuz recent rumors of a new 9-1/Sonett concept are floating around again, coincidentally with a possible concept debut at Geneva next year. We'll see.

Smith&Wesson
26-10-05, 05:16 AM
"To do so, it would need a smaller engine or a pedestrian-friendly bonnet, neither of which is a production possibility."

Well the Solstice and the Sky use a 4 cyl inline engine.
The Saab could use the V6 turbo which is shorter and allows greater deformation of the front part without requiering a modified bonnet.

Alex_Saab
26-10-05, 05:49 PM
Too good to be true I guess, GM decided against a sportscar and instead chose an SUV:roll:

Spray
07-12-05, 09:21 AM
Saab IS releasing a concept at the Geneva road show this spring, Popular mechanics got to see it and they say they think it's based off the Kappa platform making it RWD. However edmunds says they think it's based off the opel astra FWD platform. Popular mechanics did say that they thought it looked good enough to go into production, they also said it had "a lambo door like effect where the doors open with the ****pit glass"

I do hope it's RWD or else it's just a waste of time.

Alex_W
07-12-05, 09:52 AM
Well if its Kappa and RWD then its cant be made RHD, AFIK. Which means that it will bomb in the UK, Saab's 2nd biggest market..... Even Vauxhall wouldn't touch it, what does that say.....

8valvegrowl
07-12-05, 02:46 PM
Vauxhall is importing a LHD, Kappa RWD car...the Saturn Sky.

I agree though...the Saab will have to have RHD and LHD variants if it wants to be successful globally. The Solstice and Sky are N. American models...any sold to RHD markets will just be icing for GM, novelties if you will. But the Saab will have to be global....maybe it will be based on the Delta....or if we're really lucky, Epsilon2.

PeterGibons
22-12-05, 10:54 AM

Really it's great to hear that they are thinking outside the front wheel drive box. It seems there are more cars that haul as$ that are rwd or awd than are fwd. People want fast, torque steer sucks. Would an M3 be as much fun to drive if it were fwd? I don't think so. Go Saab make an Areo that's a true sports car. For a long time the 9-5 has been too similar to the Pontiac Bonneville, yuck.

Peter:lol:

aeropilot
22-12-05, 11:24 AM
Saab IS releasing a concept at the Geneva road show this spring, Popular mechanics got to see it and they say they think it's based off the Kappa platform making it RWD. However edmunds says they think it's based off the opel astra FWD platform.

Automotive News Europe agree with Edmunds, according to this I posted in the other thread on the Sonett.

Automotive News Europe reports Saab may add a two-seat sports car to its line-up as part of its product expansion.

A sports car is being considered as part of the Swedish carmaker's "diversification strategy to offer wider range of models," said Svante Kinell, Saab's European product marketing business manager for the 9-3 and 9-5.

Saab will show a front-wheel-drive, 250hp V6-powered concept for the potential new model at the Geneva motor show in March.

"We will show an interesting concept in Geneva that will have the DNA of our Sonett sports car that we sold in the mid-'60s," Kinell told Automotive News Europe at the launch of the face-lifted 9-5 medium-premium car in Spain.

Whether the concept is built will depend on public reaction by potential buyers when the vehicle is shown later next year at other motor shows in the US. North America is important market for Saab.

Rob in Atlanta
22-12-05, 04:33 PM
My feeling is that the Sonnett should and probably will follow the basic philosophy of the original Sonnetts: It will be light, good handling, and a coupe (with maybe a roadster variant). My instinct is to say that it will be closely related to the new Pontiac Solstice, and I say that's a good thing. AWD on a sports car? who the h#*% are you kidding? AWD weighs too much, look at the Audi TT, that's NOT a sports car, its an overweight POS that doesn't handle, accelerate, or stop like a sports car. RWD is the best choice layout for what basically amounts to a backroads/track toy, no if's and's or but's. I love that the old Sonnetts are FWD, but frankly, if I'm going to buy a dedicated sports car that's new, it'd better be RWD, otherwise I'll just stick with my MGB. I hope it will be simple and affordable, those things will make it sell better than anything else.A Swedish Bentley? :o I'm prepared to see SAAB branch out with vehicles that break some with SAAB tradition. No company can afford to stay completely mired in the past. Still..... I find that a SAAB Bentley would be tough to square with SAAB's traditional virtures of sporty, frugal, safe and Scandanavian-clean, spare design. I can see compromising on some of these virtures for things like a crossover sport utility or a small sports car. But a stratosphere topping luxury vehicle like a Bentley could have NONE of the virtures except maybe the safe. To succeed in such a market segment, SAAB would need to abandon its austere Scandanavian design, would need to abandon its sporty nature, and would certainly be abandoning its frugal virtue on both the level of operation and initial purchase.