$50 900t [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: $50 900t

LRflip
10-07-09, 01:08 PM
I picked up this car in late June 09 from a guy that lived around the corner from me. He said it hadn't ran in years and the dirt, grime, pollen, and leaves were there to prove it. After some tactful negotiations, we agreed on the above mentioned price of $50. I offered him $25 but, he was reluctant due to the fact that he had so many spare parts with the car.

So, after walking around the car for about 15 minutes...I told him I would be back within an hour with a tow rope and $50.

Loaded up and dragged it to my house (Less than 2 miles).

He had origionally parked the car due to a bad slave cylinder...but, it took a bit more than that to get it to start. Here is the thread I started including pictures and some technical questions:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160948

After tearing is all up and diagnosing the issues...I have a solid, rust free car that needs a bit of tidying up before it becomes my daily driver/rolling project.

My plans for this car:

Cosmetic:
A good Cleaning all over
New Paint
New interior
Maybe new wheels (Probably not)

Motor:
FMIC
New hoses/vacuum hoses
Maybe new gaskets (depends on how it runs in the next few weeks)
A good cleaning and organizing of everything
Battery moved to the boot
This list will change with my tastes

Suspension/Brakes:
New disks all around
Lowered, stiffened coils
New shocks
Sways
Bushings

Audio:
MP3 compatible head unit with whatever speakers are on sale at bestbuy.

Im looking forward to getting on with this project...At $95 with the cost of the car, its starting off pretty budget so far!

Cheers,

Matt

ejenner
12-07-09, 05:29 AM
Where is pics?

LRflip
13-07-09, 09:29 PM
Where is pics?

Click on the link in the original post...Ill have more up this week while I button everything up and get it on the road. Ive been very busy this past weekend. Later this week after I pick up a battery and some new tires, I will start the road trials...:cheesy:

LRflip
16-07-09, 07:34 PM
So, now that I have it running it's time to start getting it road worthy so I can drive it daily. This is turning into a time consuming task. Work and my girlfriend are keeping me away from working on it every day. That and my workspace is quickly becoming overrun with my roommates furniture.

So, with a little persuasion that the garage needed to be used more for storage and less as a garage, I buttoned everything up yesterday and took it out for a Maiden Voyage.

Having known from the beginning that the battery was toast, I put the charger on it long enough to get it started. At that point in time, I had original intentions of just pulling it into the drive and leaving it for a few days.

My curiosity got the best of me (as usual) so I took it out into the neighborhood for a jaunt....

The motor felt strong and I could feel the turbo kicking in at about 3grand. It was a surprise at how much power this tired looking little car had.

As I'm driving it further and further away from my house, I start to get greedy and head off into an ajoining neighborhood with my 85lb German Shepherd in the back seat. We're both grinning ear to ear.

I get a good 3 miles away from home and Im still moving...except for the battery light comes on and I lose the normal ammenities that come with a running motor. Damn.

So, 3 miles away from home with my German Shepherd and no leash. Double Damn.

I fashioned a leash out of a spare piece of rubber hose that I was using to bleed the clutch with the transfer pump and start walking.

I get back to my house, hope in the trusty Rover and head to Autozone to grab a battery. $80, Triple Damn.

Get back to my place and talk my girlfriend into holding the flashlight and driving my truck as a follow vehicle just in case...she obliges but, is not reluctant because where I broke down wasn't the safest part of town after dark. I told her it would be quick and it was.

So, another day in the life of a $50 Saab. People have been telling me that you get what you pay for....Ill pay $50 for another car just like it any day. Just tell me who I gotta talk to.

Cheers,

Matt

ejenner
17-07-09, 03:41 AM
I got one for free, drove it for about 18 months, fitted nitrous injection to it... upgraded the brakes, springs, shocks, stripped out the interior, fitted bigish speakers, changed it for something else later... was an excellent car though.

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/saabpics/9008v/8v_Dec06_001.jpg

+ 16" wheels and thin tyres, ported out the exhaust manifold, fitted rear spoiler, blacked out all the trim and lights and windows and grill... This used to handle really well. Power wasn't great, but could keep up with most stuff due to handling ability.

This is the graph from the rolling road when I had the nitrous on it. Was really good fun to drive when the nitrous kicked in!

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/saabpics/9008v/8v_rr_oct06_01.jpg

LRflip
17-07-09, 06:39 PM
That is sweet! Free is better than $50 but It's all on the same lines anyways.

I feel as though I can probably pull a bit more power out of my 16v than out of that 8v. At the moment, it handles like a turd on wheels because of the ratty passenger CV boot.

I think Im going with white when it's time for paint. I like the look of the white with black trim.

But, It's going to be a while before paint comes and Ill probably change my mind 8-9 times. I also really like red....but, we'll see.

LRflip
26-07-09, 08:45 PM
http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg377/msh0207/Saab/DSC00575.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg377/msh0207/Saab/DSC00578.jpg

This weekend has been full of win...

ejenner
27-07-09, 06:22 AM
Don't like those clocks though. USA ones seem to deny the existance of any speeds over 110mph. Not much of an acheivement if you get it go off the clock. My 9000 aero reads up to 150mph and that's been off the clock and hit the peg! The amount of time it takes to reach that kind of speed, you'd be sitting there with the needle off the clock for a long time. Actually the aero can get to 110mph in about 13 seconds.

LRflip
02-08-09, 07:18 PM
Alright, so I've had the car on the road and its been my driver to and from work. It has been hot as hell here in North Carolina the past few weeks and the coolant having probably never been replaced might be the cause but, we have an overheater. It hasn't been all the way up to the red but its been on the hot side twice so Im going to park it untill I can get the coolant flushed, and a new thermostat in it. Im thinking possibly a new valve cover gasket, head gasket (Probably won't shave the head), and all new vacuum hoses while Im in there....Im going to price the parts I need and Ill get back here with the progress.

In the meantime, if anyone has any tips on how to do the job easier, please fill me in.

900t
02-08-09, 11:48 PM
Alright, so I've had the car on the road and its been my driver to and from work. It has been hot as hell here in North Carolina the past few weeks and the coolant having probably never been replaced might be the cause but, we have an overheater. It hasn't been all the way up to the red but its been on the hot side twice so Im going to park it untill I can get the coolant flushed, and a new thermostat in it. Im thinking possibly a new valve cover gasket, head gasket (Probably won't shave the head), and all new vacuum hoses while Im in there....Im going to price the parts I need and Ill get back here with the progress.

In the meantime, if anyone has any tips on how to do the job easier, please fill me in.

It depends what you mean by overheating... the temp gauge is pretty accurate, it will go low when you drive 70 mph and it will go high when you sit in a traffic jam. Usually you get something like the fan going when it is maybe 1/3 inch from the red line

LRflip
03-08-09, 09:24 PM
It depends what you mean by overheating... the temp gauge is pretty accurate, it will go low when you drive 70 mph and it will go high when you sit in a traffic jam. Usually you get something like the fan going when it is maybe 1/3 inch from the red line

Well, Ive drilled extra holes in the thermostat for my rover so Im used to it being on the cool side all the time...

The Saab never gotten all the way to the orange line, but it sits very close to it and climbs up until I get moving again. I turn the heat up all the way and get moving again and it comes back down. Im probably going to change out the tstat to a lower temp one and flush the coolant sometime next week.

Also, Im getting a slight puddle of oil in the recess of the valve cover where the spark plugs are. Im assuming thats just a nice valve cover gasket leak...Comes with time I suppose but, Im sure thats going to follow close with a head gasket change. Tell me what you think.

900t
03-08-09, 09:27 PM
Well, Ive drilled extra holes in the thermostat for my rover so Im used to it being on the cool side all the time...

The Saab never gotten all the way to the orange line, but it sits very close to it and climbs up until I get moving again. I turn the heat up all the way and get moving again and it comes back down. Im probably going to change out the tstat to a lower temp one and flush the coolant sometime next week.

Also, Im getting a slight puddle of oil in the recess of the valve cover where the spark plugs are. Im assuming thats just a nice valve cover gasket leak...Comes with time I suppose but, Im sure thats going to follow close with a head gasket change. Tell me what you think.

Try to listen for the fan to come on... perhaps what you really are looking for is a lower temp thermoswitch.

I wouldn't bother with HG for now if it is working well. Do it when you have time and etcetera. Don't bother with VC of course if one day you will do HG. The little leak is usually innocuous, I had one like that and it was the same oil, never more, never less, I think somone spilled it changing the VC before :lol:

There is a hole in the head there though so it will drain out.

mphilleo
21-08-09, 08:44 PM
Try to listen for the fan to come on... perhaps what you really are looking for is a lower temp thermoswitch.

I wouldn't bother with HG for now if it is working well. Do it when you have time and etcetera. Don't bother with VC of course if one day you will do HG. The little leak is usually innocuous, I had one like that and it was the same oil, never more, never less, I think somone spilled it changing the VC before :lol:

There is a hole in the head there though so it will drain out.I believe it's the 9000 that has the lower temp thermoswitch, which requires the 900 to be retrofitted to accomodate it. I've heard that it's best to stick with the original setup for the switch, but I who knows.

LR, if you're planning on changing out the thermostat, do not skimp. Pay the extra $ and get a genuine SAAB 3 stage thermostat. My 900 had some no-name 2 stager and it sucked and appears to have run worse with it. With the SAAB, the car runs noticeably better, at the correct temp at the correct time. I've stayed with the car while it idled and verified that the three stages really do run the coolant where they ought to as designed.

Breakin5speeds
22-08-09, 08:44 PM
Sounds just like a fanswitch. Put the key in the on position and bridge the terminals of the switch and see if the fans work first, then fire up the car and let idle and see if the fans kick on about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the gauge...if not and you have found that bypassing the switch turns on the fans you know the switch is bad...super common.

And the lower temp fan switch (82) is available, but you're fans will run ALLL the DAMN time with it, 89 degrees is a little high, but I know a few people that have an 82 degree thermostat and an 89 degree fan switch, car runs cool, but the fans don't cycle all the time... In my car 89 was tooo high for my liking, especially with my Front mount intercooler, so I installed a 9000 fan switch and wired up the common and low temp leads now my fans kick on at 87 which is just about right....:cheesy:

LRflip
22-08-09, 10:24 PM
Alright, so I drove the car down to Wilmington (where my parents live) for the weekend. It's about 2.5 hours away from Raleigh (where I live).

I came down to work on the car, change the coolant out, replace some hoses, thermostat, etc...

I went to drain the radiator, and the whole drain plug rang out of the radiator:o.

damn damn damn.

So now Im left with a radiator with a huge hole in the bottom of it, Its saturday night, and I have to drive the car back to Raleigh tomorrow night. Im probably going to wake up early tomorrow, JB-Weld it back together, and hit the road with a prayer.

My only problem is this: How do I get the radiator out of this car without taking EVERYTHING apart? Its insane how much I have taken apart on this thing and I still can't get the radiator out. I obviously can't repair this problem without getting the rad out. Im going to search but, somebody please give me something to go on!

Cheers,

Matt

Boosted
22-08-09, 11:00 PM
You'll have to remove all of the induction pipes and the right cooling fan for it to come out. The screws for the fans especially the bottom one are hard to get out. Hopefully they won't twist off when you try to remove them.

LRflip
25-08-09, 02:47 AM
Alright, after the end of a very long Monday night (completes my unintentional 3-day weekend) I have the car back almost together sans bumper.

If you read my previous post, you will see that I broke off the pitcock "hehe" on my radiator and had a serious "not holding water" issue due to that. I did that on Saturday night at about 9pm. Not a soul was willing to lift a finger to help my pathetic *** on Sunday.

So, with the grass still wet with dew...I sat at the radiator shop with a cup of coffee and a nice big fat lipper of copenhagen and waited for the guy to open up. He told me that he would call me later in the afternoon....he wasn't real motivated to get this work done....thats not what Im about....I need motivated people while they're on my time. Anyways.....

Sitting around the house, I have a sausage biscuit, another cup of coffee and I surf the internet for a few hours. I called again to him at lunch...."I'll get right on it" he says. So two hours later, as Im picking up the phone to harass him again, the phone rings. Its the receptionist and my radiator is ready to go at the hefty tune of.......$25 USD. sweet. Lets get this show on the freaking road.

Well, the down side to this entire experience is that since Im visiting my family in a relatively unfamiliar town, Im at the mercy of my mother to tote me around. paralleling that is a constant ranting from my dad who is not mechanically inclined and I have to hear stories about all his automotive failures along the years....and about how mom is going to have to give me a ride back to my apartment in Raleigh....the thought of relying on my parents for a ride takes me back to the 6th grade.

Anyways, I get back to the house a few hours later...(mom is a real estate agent so we had to go show a house :roll:...wtf?)

Ok, so I have a large portion of this car torn apart, a lot of parts laying around, and a short term memory. I jumped in without a second thought. Piece by piece, things started coming together and after a while, and a few "oops I forgot to connect that plug" moments, the $50 900 starts again to run for another day.

I drove it around the block in the neighborhood, by no means a true test of the cooling system but, I've got a new issue now...The passenger side brake caliper is sticking like its hot. So, in the morning, or in about 3 hours, Im going to dive into that new issue. It's been sticking intermittently for the past few weeks. It was an issue that would always resolve itself before I could get it home to see what the problem was. So, with a long commute coming up for me tomorrow...Im going to pull another long day and see if I can't get it going good.

Thanks for reading all of that. I know it was long....Ill reward you with a joke: What do you call cheese that doesn't belong to you?

nacho cheese.

Cheers,

Matt

ejenner
25-08-09, 05:23 AM
I don't get it... maybe means something in American English? :lol:

Try bleeding the brakes. That may fix your sticky caliper. If not, then you will most likely need to rebuild it or replace it.

LRflip
25-08-09, 11:17 AM
If you say "not your" fast with a bit of a slang accent....it sounds like nacho.

Anyways, sorry out there for our friends across the pond who didn't get that.

Aside from that, I took the wheel off, Took the brake pads out and started to work the piston in the caliper back and forth...sprayed some antiseize in there. As well as pulled the ebrake cable loose by hand. I think the ebrake was locking it up and not releasing. Sounds right by me anyways.

So, I just finished cleaning my parents garage and hopefully Ill be hitting the road here in a few minutes.

Cheers, (coffee of course)

Matt

LRflip
25-08-09, 11:23 AM
oh yea, quick question.

Its ballsweat hot as hell right now outside...is there any detrimental effect that can come from a thermostat having a few extra holes drilled in it to keep the temperature down. I assume other than just a really slow warm up, nothing will probably happen. My heat may not work as well....other than that? Anything?

Real Lyte
25-08-09, 05:21 PM
oh yea, quick question.

Its ballsweat hot as hell right now outside...is there any detrimental effect that can come from a thermostat having a few extra holes drilled in it to keep the temperature down. I assume other than just a really slow warm up, nothing will probably happen. My heat may not work as well....other than that? Anything?

Lol, I wouldn't advise it...

LRflip
25-08-09, 08:26 PM
Lol, I wouldn't advise it...

Too late bossman...I's already did it.

I did the same thing on my rover a few months back with relatively positive results. And, if anything incase of tstat failure, the coolant will still be able to pass through. Id probably just find a washer the same diameter as the tstat if I thought that would make the car run cooler.

Real Lyte
25-08-09, 08:35 PM
Too late bossman...I's already did it.

I did the same thing on my rover a few months back with relatively positive results. And, if anything incase of tstat failure, the coolant will still be able to pass through. Id probably just find a washer the same diameter as the tstat if I thought that would make the car run cooler.

Haha, ok, I figured you were gonna do it anyways, but personally I wouldn't as I can get very ocd about running a car properly (especially my project 900).

LRflip
26-08-09, 07:41 PM
Haha, ok, I figured you were gonna do it anyways, but personally I wouldn't as I can get very ocd about running a car properly (especially my project 900).

Dude,

Me too....

It's just that engineers are morons (just kidding to the engineers in the room). I know whats best for my car.

Cheers,

Matt