Removing Exhaust Manifold [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Removing Exhaust Manifold

Blaque_Out
17th September 2003, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know how to remove it.. I may be either dipping it or painting it, so I need know how to remove it :roll:

The thing thats confusing me is how to remove the peg like screws. Also, will I have to remove my turbo as well or will is still hold up without the manifold?

I have a 96 900SE Turbo

TurboRush91
18th September 2003, 07:23 AM
Never done it, but heres my advice from past experience:

Soak the bolts/studs in Liquid Wrench of equivelent for a few days so you don't break any.

Pull the Turbo and Manifold as one piece, I would not trust the DP/Exhaust to hold the turbo up by itself, its very heavy. I am not positive it is possible to pull them together, but if you can, it'll make life much easier!

CO-Saab
18th September 2003, 10:47 AM
Your going to paint your manifold??? Do you have any idea the temperatures that thing sees. I can't think of a paint that will stay on there longer than a day or so. You might consider ceramic coating, but I think even that would fail under the temps. Correct me if I'm wrong but painting the exhaust manifold seems like a horrible idea.

Tweek's Turbos
18th September 2003, 11:54 AM
The heat will be pretty extream. But it may be a good idea to loosen the power steering pulley and move it outa the way a bit its held on by 3 bolts.

The studs you are refering to, should stay on, just try and get the bolts off the studs, and then off the turbo.

Blaque_Out
18th September 2003, 12:24 PM
Many people, especially with customs...paint/powder coat they're exhaust manifold. There is actually a paint made specifically to go on the exhaust manifold or headers.

One guy does it (coating or chrome plating) here in town, and I was going to ask him how much it would be to do such. The good thing about coating is that it actually reduces the heat.

I think it would be a great improvement on cleaning up my engine bay, as the cast iron manifold...look very bad :-?

TurboRush91
18th September 2003, 05:59 PM
I would highly recommend ceramic coating. I have it on the manifold and DP on my MR2, comes with a lifetime warranty against rust and corrosion, shines nicely, lowers engine bay temps, increases flow through manifold, etc

branmuffin86
18th September 2003, 08:06 PM
How much would something like ceramic coating cost and where should I look to get it done? I've been wanting to do something with my manifold because its an ugly brown color but the only manifold I've seen for a 900se is around $900 I
think.

TurboRush91
18th September 2003, 08:53 PM
a 4 cylinder cast manifold at the place I had mine does was $135 I THINK! It might be less acutally, I use:
http://www.airborncoatings.com/
They come highly recommended, but they have a place about 30 minutes from my house so I save on shipping charges

Manifold I had done for my MR2
http://web.bryant.edu/~cma4/manifold1.jpg

This was a USED downpipe, when I got it, it was brown and rusty looking and came back looking like this!
http://web.bryant.edu/~cma4/dp1.jpg

Tweek's Turbos
18th September 2003, 09:47 PM
I think for next summer I will pick up a brand new one, send it to be extrude honed then go for this airborn particle thing. :cheesy:

Blaque_Out
18th September 2003, 10:28 PM
I guess so I won't be without a car for a month or so, I'll just pick up a manifold from a junk yard.

That looks really nice.

Did you have to prepare it ahead of time, or did they?

I heard that the rusting parts such be ground off before they coat it.

TurboRush91
19th September 2003, 08:13 AM
I just drop it off, they do all the prep, sandblasting, etc

although I did do some smoothing/polishing on the inside of both pieces.

swdmus
19th September 2003, 10:18 AM
Ive removed it never paited it, just put some penatrating oil on it and grab the pegs with a pair of vise grips and twist them out the should come.

CO-Saab
19th September 2003, 10:56 AM
I had my entire exhaust Ceramic coated, turbo to tailpipe. I sent mine to the experts at Jet-Hot, www.jethot.com If you have to ship it anyway, I would highly recommend these guys. They charge approx. $15/Ft Send me a PM if you want to talk further. I have pictures, just not with me or anyplace to post them. Hope this helps.

CO-Saab
19th September 2003, 10:58 AM
I had my entire exhaust Ceramic coated, turbo to tailpipe. I sent mine to the experts at Jet-Hot, www.jethot.com If you have to ship it anyway, I would highly recommend these guys. They charge approx. $15/Ft Send me a PM if you want to talk further. I have pictures, just not with me or anyplace to post them. Hope this helps.

Oops, www.jet-hot.com

TurboRush91
19th September 2003, 01:59 PM

Luckily for me, the exhaust on my mr2 is full stainless steel, so I only needed to coat the DP.. :)

I have never dealt with Jet-Hot, but can say from experience also that the guys in the CT location are great to deal with, so it really seems like you can't go wrong if you ship to either company, its a great investment!

CO-Saab
19th September 2003, 03:20 PM
TurboRush,

I don't understand your logic. You only coated the DP? The way Ceramic-coating works is by keeping the heat out of the metal and flowing through the pipes at a faster rate. By not allowing the metal to absorb heat, it won’t transfer that heat back to the airflow. Knowing that, you will have a huge heat build up at the cat or beginning of the cat back, right where the coating stops. The metal at that point will absorb more heat than if you didn't coat anything. This information comes from a chief NASA engineer, the proprietors of ceramics. I also have three friends whom support these claims. All of them work for Coors Ceramics, world leaders in ceramic materials. I look forward to your thoughts

BTW, I too have full stainless exhaust system.

TurboRush91
19th September 2003, 05:44 PM
Well, I had the Manifold and DP coated, and at the time, withstanding the information which you just provided me, which I believe, I was told that stainless steel did not need to be coated because whatever the reason given to me at the time, it behaved similarly enough to the coated parts that it was not worth the extra money, given that I have no cats on the MR2 and the stainless steal exhaust is literally 2.5 feet long (Mid engine).

Now, with the info that you have presented me, if I were to do a full exhaust on my Saab, stainless steel or not, I would have the whole thing coated. :cheesy:

CO-Saab
19th September 2003, 06:09 PM
TurboRush,
Ahh mid engine, that makes some sense as the pipes are shorter, but I'm sure a EGT would read big differences within the exhaust, coated and not. That would be an interesting experiment. I still believe, baring what all these brains have told me, that some coating is better than none! BTW I have called Jet-Hot and they suggest the Jet 2000 coating on exhaust manifolds (Approx. $120) due to higher heats. The difference in the Jet 2000 coating and Sterling is the 2000 is not polished and looks gray and rough whereas the sterling is shiny and polished.

Blaque_Out They are not able to coat 2000 on the inside and sterling on the outside, oh well. What do you think of the photos?

TurboRush91
20th September 2003, 07:30 PM
TurboRush,
Ahh mid engine, that makes some sense as the pipes are shorter, but I'm sure a EGT would read big differences within the exhaust, coated and not. That would be an interesting experiment.

I thought the same thing, I regret not tapping my stock uncoated manifold for an EGT so that I could compare temps in the uncoated manifold vs. a coated manifold.