SaabCentral Forums banner

Transmission mount trouble, pls help.

5K views 48 replies 13 participants last post by  Gazolzwurf 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I got the Sport transmission mount, and set out to install it, but the long thru bolt can not back out all the way because it hit the transmission housing. See pic. Any ideas?

Thx.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Yes it is the GS one, but purchased from in UK . I have not seen one for automatic. Part and shipping was less expensive from UK..LoL. The pic there is the old one, the Blue one comes in two pieces so it is a breeze to put in. Have not had the car out to see the difference, but there is a ton of give in the stock rubber one, and none in this one :)
Thanks again to SaabScott for the quick and helpful reply!

Edit, I guess you cannot put vendors names on the forums? It deletes it,? that is what helps people get what they need?..so google *e*l*k*parts but without the * :)

#8 ·
Hey Toolz, another fellow Ontarian. In the future, if you want to order from GS, contact Linda T. directly. They will ship USPS at cost. That mount was one of the first things I changed on our car, when we bought it 2 years. You'll definitely feel a difference.

Saab Scott also orders stuff directly from GS, every once in a while, so if you're near Aktiv motors, they may be able to get larger items for you.

#9 ·
Hey Toolz, another fellow Ontarian. In the future, if you want to order from GS, contact Linda T. directly. They will ship USPS at cost. That mount was one of the first things I changed on our car, when we bought it 2 years. You'll definitely feel a difference.

Saab Scott also orders stuff directly from GS, every once in a while, so if you're near Aktiv motors, they may be able to get larger items for you.
Great, thanks!
It is amazing how replacing one mount can make that kind of difference. Shifting and driveline feel much more solid and controlled.
Now I have to take my console part to see what I can do about all the play in the shifter. :)

#10 ·
I see you have a 2000, do you know if you have the new MTF 0063 in there? It was introduced in 2002, and I just recently did a partial flush, even though mine already had it. There was a bit of metallic debris on the magnetic drain plug, but overall it wasn't too bad.

If you changed your mount, the drain and fill will be no big deal, but do spray the plugs with lots of PB Blaster, they are on tight and rusty. Also, you'll need some ratcheting elbows and a torque wrench to get the fill plug off and on to the right spec.. The drain and level plugs will need a ground down 8 mm allen wrench, as access is tight. There is lots of great info here.

#15 ·
I see you have a 2000, do you know if you have the new MTF 0063 in there? It was introduced in 2002, and I just recently did a partial flush, even though mine already had it. There was a bit of metallic debris on the magnetic drain plug, but overall it wasn't too bad.

If you changed your mount, the drain and fill will be no big deal, but do spray the plugs with lots of PB Blaster, they are on tight and rusty. Also, you'll need some ratcheting elbows and a torque wrench to get the fill plug off and on to the right spec.. The drain and level plugs will need a ground down 8 mm allen wrench, as access is tight. There is lots of great info here.
Previous owner put in redline MTF, and that was years ago, so I defentily have to change that out and was searching the forums for some info on it :)
Thanks!

#24 ·
And the new torque rod is in :cheesy:

I took couple pictures just to show.

All pieces (different color than on the website, but who cares ;))

Old rubber mount still in:

Old vs. new side

Old vs. new face

Empty bracket

New mount installed

It was very easy and took me about 15 minutes. All you need is a 16mm wrench and a torque wrench to tighten to 35lbf. That's it. If your old mount is shot (like mine), it will come out/fall apart very easily.

No reviews yet, will drive the car tonight and then let you know.

So, winner? :p

#27 ·
Ok, so I'm back from the drive.

I must say the difference is not all that much, but that is perhaps due to me also changing other stuff in that area. It definitely feels tighter with this mount - the old one was such a P.O.S., as you see on pics, it was basically falling apart. I could wiggle the bracket up and down before I even removed the bolt - no resistance! This one is solid, and holds well. It got rid of a slight "clunk" I had when moving from stopped in a "spirited manner" ;), both forward and back.

I must say it is so easy and so worth it to work around the transmission:
- upper mount - the car felt more controlled and removed most of vibration when in gear and stationary
- doing drain/refill almost removed shifting spots - it shifts so smooth sometimes you don't even feel it and might think it's a CVT
- torque rod - made it all feel "tighter" - I used to feel slack when moving from stop or pressing on gas deeply while driving - now it's more controlled, with no feeling of slack

Recommendation - definitely get one if you're due for replacement (50k or more). It is definitely an upgrade over the stock, easy to do, and cheaper! What else do you want? ;)

#29 ·
Another observation - after some spirited driving last night with the new mount in I noticed this morning that the engine must have settled in a slightly different position. My exhaust tip (BSR) slid about half inch under the bumper. I used to see 'BSR' written on top of it looking straight down, and now it's hidden under the bumper ;)

I don't think it's a problem, just comes to show that this mount actually HOLD the transmission to the front of the subframe, unlike the old one that was just "wiggling around" in there.

#41 ·
hey dude, i just got mine in today. FINALLY!! ive been gone this past week on vacation. ha. took bout 30 mins. threading the bolt back through was a PITA i had to jack the engine up a good inch or two to align the holes. anyway...

what i noticed. shifting between drive and neutral and reverse seems smoother or less noticeable. engine feels tighter. when i go around a turn things seem alittle more "firmer". the engines not moving all over the place...

all in all im very happy with this poly mount and am very happy i got it!:cheesy:

did i beat rattlaker? haha

#34 ·
so i was putting in mine today for an auto transmission. and i got it in and everything and i was tightening the bolt thru the bushing and SNAP!!!! boy i wish it was the bolt...but no i just snapped the bracket the bolt goes thru;oops:. so now i have to replace that huge bracket on the side of the transmission.FMLLLL:x:x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.