9 5 Aero Insurance UK [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 9 5 Aero Insurance UK

bazwold
12th June 2009, 12:03 PM
I have used the search function but after 5 pages nothing really showed up..so new thread.
Ive just been on the phone to my insurance brokers (Adrian Flux) - renewed 2 months ago at the most- and they want an extra 250 for the remaining 10 months making a total of 550 .
This seems way over the top. Although they reckon "thats by far the cheapest quote" ,said the same when I renewed with them until they magically found another quote 100 cheaper when I went back to them with a quote off comparethemarket.

Any suggestions? At my age and apparently having a decent postcode,maximum NCB etc 550 sounds too much.

THEOLDMAN
12th June 2009, 01:14 PM
That's only 907.59 per year, I was paying nearly $1500 a year for our RSXtypeS and my wife is 56 and I'm 59...
When I added the Linear wagon my insurance went up by $780, for both cars.

stew81
12th June 2009, 01:46 PM
ive got qoutes from adrian flux before and never found them to be very competetive. i think they were in the region of 1000 for my 9000 aero which is almost double what im paying!

Chris 9-5
12th June 2009, 03:44 PM
I am with Greenlight Insurance, with all modifcations declared, me and the wife driving, plus class 1 business use and I pay 360 per annum fully comp with protected NCB.

Adrian Flux - sux :roll: (well their customer service does anyways)

ferkle
12th June 2009, 04:18 PM
agreed, i am 550 fully comp on my 9000 Aero - flux are good on barry cars and have sorted us out well on our VW bus, but hideous on all of my saabs.

bazwold
13th June 2009, 04:30 AM
I am with Greenlight Insurance, with all modifcations declared, me and the wife driving, plus class 1 business use and I pay 360 per annum fully comp with protected NCB.

Adrian Flux - sux :roll: (well their customer service does anyways)

Just looked again on Comparethemarket.com ,also with my wife driving (shes had 2 write offs+ various accidents and 2 speeding tickets- yes I am wondering why she drives my Saabs) and came up with 350 (without protected NCB) and 380 with it.
Ill do a search for Greenlight. Im just looking forward to Monday when I pick her up:D

nutcase
13th June 2009, 05:19 AM
Adrtian Flux regularly come back cheapest for me, and I made the mistake of taking out their cover once.

Never ever again.

Raven18940
13th June 2009, 10:34 AM
I pay $1600 a year. 550 pounds for a year is a bargain to me. ;)

bazwold
13th June 2009, 11:40 AM
I pay $1600 a year. 550 pounds for a year is a bargain to me. ;)

I bet your not as old as me:lol:

KevinC
13th June 2009, 11:46 AM
Adrtian Flux regularly come back cheapest for me, and I made the mistake of taking out their cover once.

Never ever again.

Almost hate to ask why, hope I never need them, was pressed for time so just renewed with them for 420 w/ full euro breakdown cover which I would struggle to get for less than 100 on its own. Will look further afield next year.

How old does your car have to be to get classic insurance rates, 20 years??

ferkle
13th June 2009, 01:19 PM

It depends - i got my c900 on a classic policy due to mileage (less than 6k) and it was a 1990 - this was in 2007, i was told variable on the vehicle but for a c900 the specific insurer said 15 years, where the same insurer wouldn't touch my 1980 t25 bus as a classic, however a 1979 bay would have been... wierd.

StormCrow
13th June 2009, 10:18 PM
Ok guys - worried now!

BOTH my cars are insured through Adrian Flux - reasonable rates for both - certainly the C900 Auto I can't find cheaper elsewhere. Tried Chris Knott, they couldn't come even close to it :o

nutcase
14th June 2009, 04:16 AM
Almost hate to ask why, hope I never need them, was pressed for time so just renewed with them for 420 w/ full euro breakdown cover which I would struggle to get for less than 100 on its own. Will look further afield next year.

Sent them modification form as requested. Then a few months later rang them up to add a couple more mods I wanted to do.

No record of existing mods, but they did have record of recieving the form.

I asked what would have happened if I had had to make a claim, they said wouldn't have been insured due to undeclared mods :o:evil:

So I was driving round uninsured for about 6 months because they stuffed up...

YoungSaaber
14th June 2009, 07:06 PM
I paid 950 last year, on a 10 month bonus accelerator, on my parents' policy, third party fire and theft only, and I haven't declared any modifications (why would I do that when if I crash the car on third party insurance-they'll never look at it to fix it). Stop moaning lol. I hate being a 19 year old male driver, it's just an excuse for insurance companies to bend me over.

nutcase
15th June 2009, 02:40 AM
Er they'll look at your car fishing for any excuse not to pay up.

So you're deliberately running round uninsured? Not a good idea at all, is it? :evil:

Jezzadee
15th June 2009, 04:55 AM
Yep, if they find any modification that hasn't been declared, that'll invalidate your insurance. So you'll be considered uninsured.

Kermit
15th June 2009, 06:40 AM
I paid 950 last year, on a 10 month bonus accelerator, on my parents' policy, third party fire and theft only, and I haven't declared any modifications (why would I do that when if I crash the car on third party insurance-they'll never look at it to fix it). Stop moaning lol. I hate being a 19 year old male driver, it's just an excuse for insurance companies to bend me over.

The reason its so expensive for young drivers is because of irresponsible people like youself not declaring mods. You are effectively driving around uninsured, if you (god forbid) run somebody over or injure them you will face private legal action and compensation claims.
Its not an excuse to bend you over, its a fact that young male drivers are 3 times more likely to be involved in an accident than anybody else. :nono;

YoungSaaber
15th June 2009, 10:38 AM
Fair comments guys, but my argument is that my only mod of any insurance relevance (I doubt silicone hoses, different alloys and better audio need declaring!) is my HKS boost controller, which were I to crash I could easily pull out of the car in 10 minutes before the insurers look at it (I had a crash 2 years ago, which wasn't my fault, and they didn't look at the cars on the side of the road, it was a couple of days later).

And my thinking is that, with third party insurance, if I crash my insurers won't fix my car, because I'm not covered for damaging my own car. So they won't look at my car. And if they do, I pull out the boost controller. If someone crashes into me, my car is 15 years old and I paid 915, so I'm pretty certain they'll write the car off straight away. Again, they don't actually look at my car. If there ever was a scenario where they did look at my car, I'd remove it.

I'm aware that my last post may have looked vaugely irresponsible, but it's really not.

And Kermit, I'm asking about this in all seriousness, I'm honestly not trying to be facetious. If, as you correctly say god forbid I run someone over, what happens? If I was going over the speed limit, I would be correctly punished legally involving the police and subject to compensation claims, but surely that would be the case in a modified car OR a standard car? And if I ran someone over whilst driving properly doing the speed limit, and had not run a red light or anything, surely it's essentially their fault and I'm not at any risk of legal action because they shouldn't have been in the road?

That's a genuine question out of curiosity, because if there are laws/rules about these things I didn't know about it might be worth reconsidering my insurance position.

Thanks.

Kermit
15th June 2009, 11:11 AM
You face being dragged through the courts in a private litigation case for compensation via your own pocket. If you have valid insurance, legal expenses are covered, as are any compensation costs awarded by the judge. I have a friend who was run over on a zebra crossing by an insured driver (thankfully), she spent 3 months in a metal frame with wires into her bones and faces physio and early arthritis in her knee/ankle. The compensation is expected to run into a 6 figure sum......:o

YoungSaaber
15th June 2009, 11:14 AM
Ok, thanks for that reply. Sounds like a horrible thing that happened to your friend. Anyway I'll go away and have a think about it, but I'm just not sure I could GET insurance if I declare anything. Food for thought though, thanks again.

Jezzadee
15th June 2009, 12:13 PM
There are quite a few mod-friendly insurance companies out there. Footman James was who I was with, when I had a boost controller, intercooler, dump valve and bigger wheels (16" were never standard on a C900). There was another, maybe Frizzells, who didn't care how much you turned up the boost as long as you didn't increase the cc of the engine. I've heard Carole Nash mentioned in the biking world as well.

I don't want to labour the point, but it's worth declaring everything purely because of the crackdown on uninsured drivers. You'd fall into the same category as someone who had no insurance at all if you had undeclared mods. Bear in mind most claims are settled with 50/50 liability. If someone got injured and it turned out you were even part liable, it could get very expensive indeed - normal medical cover is limited to around 5 million, which you don't really want to face paying yourself. If you were injured yourself you might not be in a fit state to carry out some on the spot mechanical work to make the car look stock. And if the investigators (who look for this stuff for a living) found various bits were missing from the car after you'd removed them, you'd probably face police prosecution for insurance fraud, and would be lucky to get any kind of insurance ever again. Not worth it, IMO.