What is it about Saab cars that makes you keep upgrading it? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: What is it about Saab cars that makes you keep upgrading it?

BernardK
13th September 2003, 10:17 AM
Ditto

Can't you be satisfied with the stock car?

XAAMOTTOMAAX
13th September 2003, 06:06 PM
1. The car is NEVER fast enough
2. It is very gratifying to figure out ways to improve anything and then put them in place
3. Saabs are turbo charged and very capable of handling power levels higher than stock
4. There are just enough aftermarket performance upgrades to have several options but not so many you get lost in a sea of identical cars (integra/civics)
5. Saabs are unique cars to begin with and what could be more unique than a customized Saab?
7. The car is NEVER fast enough!
6. The car is NEVER fast enough!

Toreador93
14th September 2003, 07:20 PM
Exactly! (I especially like #'s 1, 6, 7)

murphwiz
15th September 2003, 11:58 AM
Everyones different!

I had an lpt and wanted more... so first change was looks, subtle genuine saab aero kit, handling, 17" wheels, eibach suspension, then power... speedparts stage 2... then quickly realised better brakes would be needed, so it is done! :D

BernardK
17th September 2003, 03:08 AM
I don't know abt the not fast enough bit yet but I guess it doesn't hurt to know that it can go faster. :D

Over here, the traffic is pretty heavy and there's traffic lights everywhere. If you don't catch the 'green-wave', you'll have to stop at every intervals.

I do wish to have more low end torque, say around 1800rpm. That will make moving in slow traffic 'faster' :) Think it is now coming in around 2500rpm. Any ideas how?

Also, the dealer is offering teh following deals for all 9-5:
1. Aero body kit (painted) SGD$1,728
2. Saab Sports Suspension (incl struct kit) SGD1.398
Is the price reasonable? USD1=SGD1.75

55spy
21st November 2003, 11:24 PM
in the US enough is never enough it can always be bigger, faster, lower, and just plain ole better

Simon
22nd November 2003, 05:19 AM
When I bought my 9-5 2.0 Eco recently, prior to buying the car I had already budgeted for a power upgrade, suspension upgrade, 17" alloys & tyres, cruise control etc.,

It's quick enough for me now with 219Bhp, it looks 10 times better and drives much better just with 17" alloys & low profile tyres rather than the 15" steel wheels with cr8ppy plastic wheel trims it had as standard and the Koni suspension kit is going on tomorrow. I am hoping the Koni kit will sort out the handling, I'm sure it will. The only other thing I might do is fit some Polyurethane Anti Roll bar bushes, but I am going to wait and see how stiff the car is first with the Koni kit fitted.

I'll be honest and coming from a Classic 900 Carlsson which was pretty nippy and handled exceptionally well for a 14 year old car I would not have kept the 9-5 long had I not budgeted for the upgrades I have listed and mostly done. Without them power was 'adequate' but the handling was diabolical! I hope the Koni kit will make it more fun to drive. I don't trust the handling at all at the moment!

All parts bar the tyres supplied by www.partsforsaabs.com

Simon
22nd November 2003, 05:24 AM
I do wish to have more low end torque, say around 1800rpm. That will make moving in slow traffic 'faster' :) Think it is now coming in around 2500rpm. Any ideas how?

Also, the dealer is offering teh following deals for all 9-5:
1. Aero body kit (painted) SGD$1,728
2. Saab Sports Suspension (incl struct kit) SGD1.398
Is the price reasonable? USD1=SGD1.75

I know after fitting my BSR Stage 1 PPC the flat spot at low RPM's has completely gone. Talking to other people who have fitted the same upgrade they all agree it is a big improvement for not much money.

Henri
24th November 2003, 05:47 PM
I totally do agree with you, Simon :lol: ! The BSR/PPC stage 1 upgrades the 2.0 engine to accelerating capabilities as a Saab should be and is known for. 8)

BTW, could you display the picture of your dyno-test lately again? :wink:

Luv900
25th November 2003, 12:11 AM
keep upgrating hmm that i can beat thoes new turbo cars ;)

Simon
25th November 2003, 05:11 AM
Here you go...

http://www.saabs.cwc.net/pe1.jpg