Indicator stalk won't stay up [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Indicator stalk won't stay up

adam222s
28th May 2009, 07:44 AM
Hi,

My T16S with cruise control has a problem with the indicator switch. It won't stay up and the guy at the test station won't pass it.

Can anyone suggest an easy fix as I am finding difficulties in getting a replacement part.

Many thanks!

Ezra
28th May 2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Adam,
your guy must be a stickler - both mine have this issue and they have passed every year so far, with different MOT'ers - when I looked into it, it has to be 'audible' and 'flash' but I think it's a 'grey area' and open to interpretation regarding them staying on ('interpretation' must be an issue because the same MOT station failed me the previous year because of a crack in my number plate that clearly did not obscure the number, and another one passed a similar crack this year???).
I have a spare of the indicator stalk you refer to (and it DID 'stay' but I changed it because the writing was a bit faded only to discover the indicator wont stay on :roll:) but getting it to you quickly is not an option for me at the moment... someone will have one near you maybe?

On the other hand - you could try this - scroll down for cutshaw's suggestion

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144274&highlight=indicator

Good luck
E
Ez

TooMany2cvs
28th May 2009, 08:18 AM
your guy must be a stickler - both mine have this issue and they have passed every year so far, with different MOT'ers - when I looked into it, it has to be 'audible' and 'flash' but I think it's a 'grey area' and open to interpretation regarding them staying on

Not really...
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m3s01000501.htm
Check the selector switch for presence, security, condition and operation.
Reason for rejection - A missing, insecure or faulty selector switch.

Ezra
28th May 2009, 12:24 PM
yep, I saw something similar when I was checking it last year but 'faulty' may mean indicator does not work as a result.... clearly the MOT centres are not sure (or maybe they are and mine are not 'with it' - thankfully, in this respect at least).

E

TooMany2cvs
28th May 2009, 12:27 PM
but 'faulty' may mean indicator does not work as a result...

But it doesn't... <grin>

Frida Saab
28th May 2009, 02:45 PM
They don't have to reset do they? Citreon BXs' used to have a swtich on the edge of the dash that you had to manually turn off.

TooMany2cvs
28th May 2009, 04:52 PM
They don't have to reset do they? Citreon BXs' used to have a swtich on the edge of the dash that you had to manually turn off.

No, non-self-cancelling is fine.

Having to hold them ON is not, though... (It's also a major pain in the backside - I swapped mine out, because I just couldn't live with it failing to stay on - I LIKE cancelling them when I want them to be cancelled and not when the car feels like it...)