SaabCentral Forums banner

Is my compression bad? What should I do next?

809 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SAABTRIP 
#1 · (Edited)
I would be lost without these forums! So hope you guys can help as always.

Just did a dry compression test following Hanes manual. Hanes says anything below 10bar is of concern.

Results:
Cylinder 1 - 135.5psi (9.34bar)
Cylinder 2 - 135.5psi (9.34bar)
Cylinder 3 - 135.4psi (9.33bar)
Cylinder 4 - 141.0psi (9.72bar)

I didn't bother doing a wet compression test due to the figures being rather similar. Out on a hunch I think the higher Cyl 4 reading might be due to my previous DI cassette having a cracked 4th plug connection so wouldn't have been working so hard.

Some of the forums thoughts would be appreciated?

Further info that may assist you guys to help.

Other bad things I have noticed that may be related. I have a crack in my radiator somewhere that leaks only when the outside weather is hot. I have a brand new radiator I will install soon. Could that be related?

I'm having to back flush my coolant on a fortnightly basis due to it getting so VERY VERY dirty. BUT not Mayonnaise like, just brown. No oil-like substances floating around, just yucky brown.

There is a small amount of oil sitting near the wall where the spark plugs go, but it doesn't appear to be seeping into the spark plug gaps. And spark plugs ceramic area is very clean.

I also have spare a full head gasket kit, exhaust manifold repair kit, head bolts, and even a cabin filter. So if it sounds like a head gasket prob, I'm set for that I think.:roll:

See less See more
#4 ·
Why didn't you do a wet test ? Are you allergic to oil or maybe you thought it would be easier for someone out here in cyberspace fix the problem for you . You are the one standing in front of the car with the compression guage in your hand right ? Let me know if you need a few spoonfuls of oil . I can mail it to you . Maybe oil is not popular in your area . If you really want help spend an extra minute to get all the information before asking the question . Geez Louise ........

#5 ·
Yeah , the radiator leaked and the engine overheated due to an internal drought which took all of that spring type force out of the rings . Drop the oil pan , remove head , disconnect rod caps , push pistons and rods up and out of engine , hone cylinders , reinstall pistons with new rings , headgasket and connect all things you disconnected , replace radiator and fill with coolant . Say some prayers , drink some Bud while rechecking the area and start her up . Good luck.......You can do it !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.