SaabCentral Forums banner

1994 9000 dead... again Fuel pump?

774 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeff325 
#1 ·
So the car started up fine, I backed out of my parking space and started to go forward, and the engine was choking, almost stalling, I got about 20 yards and it just shut down.

I try starting it, it coughs, starts, and cant hold idle and dies after 5 seconds.

Now it just cranks until the battery is dead.

Fuel pump relay was replaced less than 2 years ago, im thinking its the pump now? Car has 205,000 miles on it. When i turn the key to the "on" position, i cant hear the pump buzzing... Its been towed to the shop, we'll see just wanted to know if you guys had any input on possibilities to check on.

#3 ·
Pound hard on the hatchback area floor on the left front corner a few times, or on the bottom of the fuel tank. Then try and start the car..if it starts the pump has bad spots on the motor.

If it doesn't start..jumper fuse 14 and fuse 22 together sending 12v to the fuel pump motor. If you do not hear it running when the two fuses are jumped the pump is dead.

#4 ·
If it doesn't start..jumper fuse 14 and fuse 22 together sending 12v to the fuel pump motor. If you do not hear it running when the two fuses are jumped the pump is dead.
Well thats the thing, I used to always hear it running when i had the key in the "on" position with the door open. Made a loud humm, I'd do this before i started the car in the winter. The humm is no more. IS that the same thing or do i NEED to jump the fuses?

#5 ·
When you turn the key to the "ON" position you also invlove the fuel pump relay to get 12v to the pump motor.

By directly jumping fuse 14 to fuse 22 you send 12v to the pump motor directly without having to turn the key to the "ON" position to hear it run.

If you hear it run when you jump the 2 fuses, then suspect the fuel pump relay. If you do not hear the pump running at all, it's probably dead.

Also do a visible check of the wiring harness connector at the fuel pump for burnt or corroded pins to the pump motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.