SaabCentral Forums banner

AC Compressor Removal issue

974 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  justin.graeff 
#1 ·
Well, my AC compressor failed on me a while ago. The clutch on it froze up so I decided to get a new one. I pulled one off a 1991 9000 2.3 litre and hope to just swap the pully since they don't match up (mine is the 2.0 litre). Someone please cut it and tell me if it won't work so I can return the compressor =]

Anyway, mine is strange because it has about 6 torx bolts holding the thing on. And the funny thing about torx bolts and having no room to work with is that they strip real easily. I got 3 bolts out successfully. The two top and one on the bottom left hand front. The remaining three appear to be stripped pretty badly. Does anyone have any suggestions for taking/drilling them out? I tried to drill one out earlier but I didn't have a good enough drill and it got tedious. Anyway, here is a picture of one of the bolts.

If you have any suggestions, throw them my way please! I would like to get this done ASAP so I can have AC again =]

Thanks in Advance,

Justin

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First off spray all the screw points with PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench...

Try using a socket wrench, which you can lock it in place so it will go only ccw or cw. You may need an adapter to fit the smaller torx bit. Make sure you get the torx bit really in the screw head, make sure it is not too small due to stripping. And try to turn the torque wrench, if you cannot get it to budge, try lightly taping of the handle of the socket wrench (making sure torx bit is securely in screw head) until the screw becomes loose. Finish by socket wrench / hand.

Good luck, what are your symptoms with the AC compressor not working? Just curious b/c I have no AC right now and the turbo decides when it wants to work properly.

Edit:
You should be able to get that screw out, one way or another, it doesnt look like its rusted in there good compared to what I've seen, so don't give up but try also not to damage the screw any more as it will become more and more difficult to remove.

#3 ·
Thank you for the help. Unfortuneately, all three are stripped pretty badly. I think I way try and use one of my stripped bolt bits and see if it will catch. Like you pointed out, none of them appear rusted really, so that is a relief. The major issue is them being already stripped and lack of room to get a breaker bar in there. I think I am going to get some liquid wrench, spray them down, and then remove my radiator to see if I can get more room in there to work with. I've got three more to go, then I can try and switch the pulleys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.