'85 SPG Restoration [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: '85 SPG Restoration

skibum_infdl
17th May 2009, 08:12 PM
Finally cutting into my 85's floors and found more rust hiding just about everywhere. The worst was behind the driver door before the rear wheel. At least the repair will be hidden behind the SPG panel.

I noticed that both sides use bondo to fill the gap between the subframe and panel weld. Is that stock or just a bad repair job?

I've also noticed a lot of frame flex with it up on the jack stands. The driver door shuts fine, but the passenger door is off by about a half inch. I know my floor isn't completely level, but is that normal?

SPGSNAAB
27th May 2009, 01:07 PM
Props for the resto of another 85.:cool:

I hope mine doesnt look too bad underneath everything, though the trunk has got a good bit of surface rust.

When I had mine on stands the driver door didnt like to shut without being lifted a bit. not so much trouble with the passenger, but the frame definitely bends a bit when up on stands.

1kpa920
29th May 2009, 01:20 PM
I am surprised to read that you are saying that your body shells flex when up on jackstands. I am rebuilding a '85 Turbo and I was really amazed when I noticed that the shell was only sitting on 3 of 4 jackstands due to an uneven garage floor. I was able to open and shut any door or the hatch without any noticeable flex. The shell is currently up on stands without hood, doors, or hatch waiting for final prep before new paint.

I am however planning on installing a body brace between the rear shoulder belt mounting points as there is likely some flex in the rear end during spirited cornering. Rear seat removed and will have flat deck from hatch to just behind front buckets.

Cheers from the Flatlands!

skibum_infdl
29th May 2009, 07:36 PM
I'll have to do some more exploration of the passenger side. I know my floor isn't level, so perhaps that is causing it.

Here are some photo updates of the floor progress. I didn't butt weld the patch, but do plan to place some tack welds on the underside of the patches before painting and sealing the seams. The driver floorpan took about 4 hours to pound out by hand. I was suprised at how easy it was to create the curves and shrink some of the corners with a adjustable wrench to bend it.

1kpa920
30th May 2009, 10:36 AM
Good looking work, I am in the welding business and can relate to your efforts of joining new metal to old. It is nice to see other 900's with the APC under the rear seat. Any chance you know where one might find an available '85 APC box as they are not so common up here? Would like to "tweak" one but also have a stock back-up on hand.

Cheers from the Flatlands!

Turbofrenzy
1st June 2009, 02:07 AM
They definitely do flex when you jack them up, especially if you jack them unevenly. Even when the cars were new the same thing happened one or more doors would be difficult to shut.