SaabCentral Forums banner

Tyre size

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ron Hamperehill 
#1 ·
I recently bought nice second hand alloy wheels with useable tyres for my 96 2.0 LPT. I replaced the tyres on the front after about 20k miles with same size , 195/60 x15. The rears are needing changed but I have now realised that the rears are 195/65. There is a SAAB sticker on the inside of a rear door that gives the tyre pressures. The sticker refers to 195/65 so I guess I will have to replace the rears with 195/65 but am reluctant to replace the almost new front tyres. Am I creating problems running with different profile tyres front and rear?

#3 ·
I recently bought nice second hand alloy wheels with useable tyres for my 96 2.0 LPT. I replaced the tyres on the front after about 20k miles with same size , 195/60 x15. The rears are needing changed but I have now realised that the rears are 195/65. There is a SAAB sticker on the inside of a rear door that gives the tyre pressures. The sticker refers to 195/65 so I guess I will have to replace the rears with 195/65 but am reluctant to replace the almost new front tyres. Am I creating problems running with different profile tyres front and rear?
Of course. At first it is dangerous.

#4 ·
dangerous - wouldnt quite go that far, might alter the handling, yes maybe but lets face it, its a big car so its never going to handle like its on rails is it, its only upping the profile which will just give the tyre a smidge bit more flex but nothin that the average driver would notice and certainly not on the roads in britain

#6 ·
I imagine you'll be fine. Of course it will affect handling and braking, but on a small enough scale that you and your car probably won't notice.

Although, there is the small chance that you may be about to incur the wrath of the universe.....

.... not something I'd worry about. ;)

#7 · (Edited)
im not suggesting change the tyre sizes, im suggesting rather than replacing the front tyre with the right size and wasting money, just wait until the fronts are baldy and get the corrrect size, id put the standard size on the rears for now and leave the non standard size on front until they need changing and then put standard size on the front, just seems a waste of money to change the fronts just because they are the wrong profile, lets face it, im sure it will eat plenty of front tyres before it will rear as its front wheel drive,

i assume that the fact the sticker refers to 196/65/15 that this is the standard fitment, id always stick to standard fitment were possible but as you already have a good set of front tyres that are non standard fitment id leave them until they need changing then put standard fitment on them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.