basic fmic pipework question [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: basic fmic pipework question

gettingold
15th May 2009, 06:08 PM
Hi all
Have a 1989 5 door FPT
I can guess the answers here- there is a a very plausible reason for using ally tubing for intercooler / turbo plumbing.
BUT i am on a VERY limited budget and I cannot justify forking out a small fortune on silicone hoses. Besides I like the idea of breaker yard performance mods...
I have a focus TDCi intercooler that I want to mount at the front ( obviously! ) and there are some tight twists and turns to be accomodated - Ive spotted this on fleabay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/51mm-2-EPDM-Rubber-Radiator-Coolant-Hose-1-Metre_W0QQitemZ250410471890QQcmdZViewItem

...or this one....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TYPE-A2-ISO-7840-MARINE-GRADE-FUEL-HOSE-2-0-51mm-ID_W0QQitemZ230300455037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=i tem230300455037&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|2 93:1|294:50

Are these suitable for for use with an FMIC? Im not planning on huge mods afterwards - the car has a red APC fitted, forge dump valve, etc - my main reason for moving the intercooler is to free up space for an induction pipe arrangement.

Cheers.

Saab 16s Stubby
16th May 2009, 10:46 AM
Hi all
Have a 1989 5 door FPT
I can guess the answers here- there is a a very plausible reason for using ally tubing for intercooler / turbo plumbing.
BUT i am on a VERY limited budget and I cannot justify forking out a small fortune on silicone hoses. Besides I like the idea of breaker yard performance mods...
I have a focus TDCi intercooler that I want to mount at the front ( obviously! ) and there are some tight twists and turns to be accomodated - Ive spotted this on fleabay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/51mm-2-EPDM-Rubber-Radiator-Coolant-Hose-1-Metre_W0QQitemZ250410471890QQcmdZViewItem

...or this one....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TYPE-A2-ISO-7840-MARINE-GRADE-FUEL-HOSE-2-0-51mm-ID_W0QQitemZ230300455037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=i tem230300455037&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|2 93:1|294:50

Are these suitable for for use with an FMIC? Im not planning on huge mods afterwards - the car has a red APC fitted, forge dump valve, etc - my main reason for moving the intercooler is to free up space for an induction pipe arrangement.

Cheers.

I am looking to do this upgrade and in the first instance I would try and get as much ducting from the original car when I find the IC. This way you may get some nice OEM corner pieces and then you only have to source the straights, which you may have enough of already.

gettingold
16th May 2009, 01:22 PM
Stubby
Thanks for the advice - I won the intercooler on fleabay and the seller promised the 90 degree ends to go with but they didnt arrive - cant really moan as I did get it for 5!... On hindsight a Mondeo sourced cooler wouldve been better as the 2 ends are 'straight' whereas this Focus IC has the ends facing downwards - hence another 2 90 deg bends to pipe in.

The flexi marine grade pipe is good for 5 bar of pressure and the other ebay listing does say the hose they list is suitable for intercoolers but they would?!...

Obviously its a tad tight anyway to plumb the pipework in and I dont have off road parking - I have to park a few hundred yards from the house.

Im gonna take the plunge and try this stuff but use as much ally pipe from the car as possible.

Will let you know how I go on.

Which IC are you going for? My local scrappy has a tidy 9000 with an decent IC - I nearly took it out but it'll be a pig to wedge in to the 900.... On hindsight Id go for a mk3 mondeo TD IC.

Saab 16s Stubby
16th May 2009, 03:34 PM
Stubby
Thanks for the advice - I won the intercooler on fleabay and the seller promised the 90 degree ends to go with but they didnt arrive - cant really moan as I did get it for 5!... On hindsight a Mondeo sourced cooler wouldve been better as the 2 ends are 'straight' whereas this Focus IC has the ends facing downwards - hence another 2 90 deg bends to pipe in.

The flexi marine grade pipe is good for 5 bar of pressure and the other ebay listing does say the hose they list is suitable for intercoolers but they would?!...

Obviously its a tad tight anyway to plumb the pipework in and I dont have off road parking - I have to park a few hundred yards from the house.

Im gonna take the plunge and try this stuff but use as much ally pipe from the car as possible.

Will let you know how I go on.

Which IC are you going for? My local scrappy has a tidy 9000 with an decent IC - I nearly took it out but it'll be a pig to wedge in to the 900.... On hindsight Id go for a mk3 mondeo TD IC.

With limited research, I'd be looking at the Mondeo unit. The 9000 and Volvo unit are very big and I'd prefer not to have any lumps and bumps below the number plate, because I don't have the oversized Caarlson front end. Keep us posted on your IC upgrade, including pictures - you might set a trend if it goes well.

ejenner
17th May 2009, 03:53 AM
Those flexible hoses won't be flexible enough. If they are flexible enough then they won't be strong enough - that's how it tends to work.

I would use straight rubber couplers and a selection of thin-wall curved alley pipes that you can get from the 900 or 9000. Go to a breakers yard if necessary and pick up a few more bits to go with what you already have from the car. I wouldn't risk it with that eBay hose. Could be wasting your money. Typically once you get to 2" diameter the hose stops being flexible. I know because I've bought 'flexible' hose in that sort of diameter before. The only flexible hose of that diameter I am aware of is the vacuum cleaner hose - obviously no good for use with boost and can't really clamp down to ports properly either.

The 9000 in particular has some very interesting sharp 90-degree reducing rubber elbows that you might be able to use.

Angus
17th May 2009, 05:44 AM
Hi, not sure about the intercoolers in question, but there are a lot of options here. There is actually a fair amount of room to work with when fitting an FMIC, but be prepared to remove the towing eyes from the car. I know this does not need to be done if you are lucky enough to get a perfect fitting intercooler, but on the 2 occasions I have done an FMIC I just cut them off. Anyway, see the pics below. The first is of the normal setup in my car followed by a couple of pics with the FMIC. Apart from the purchase of the FMIC all I needed to buy was 2 x 2.5" 90 degree bend aluminium pipes (7 each) and 2 x 90 degree hose bends of the same diameter (8, they were just rubber, not silicone). I also bought 2 x hose joiners to extend the hose from the side of the IC (another 5). You will also need something to cut some of the aluminium pipes to size. All in all a very cheap and easy job, especially if you can get an intercooler cheap. You will notice I re-used both aluminium original hoses and all of the original Saab black rubber hoses. Hope this gives you some inspiration. Incidentally, I have since replaced the lower IC hoses with silicone items for the price of 30 so as to remove the 4 jubilee clips and extra joiner there, not that it really needed to be done (or could even be seen!!)
ORIGINAL LAYOUT WITH HOSES
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3573/3538508082_f97578c643_o.jpg
NEW 1
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2310/3538511012_d0486d8859_o.jpg
NEW 2
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/3538509322_af27416244_o.jpg
NEW 3
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3400/3537697991_930ff8e651_o.jpg

Saab 16s Stubby
18th May 2009, 05:01 PM
Superb workmanship! :D

gettingold
18th May 2009, 05:56 PM
You make it look so easy - stuff driving it - Id be content admiring that engine. Mine is probably at the opposite end of the spectrum!
Stubby - I think the Mondeo IC is the best compromise. Ive got a list of niggles to attend to and the IC isnt too near to the top! Make take a while before I get around to it - but will take pics and post when I do.