SaabCentral Forums banner

Retro fit VSS ?

797 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  YoungSaaber 
#1 ·
Hi all
Does anyone know for certain whether retro fitting a VSS system will work in a car that previously was VSS free ?

I found out some time ago that installing a VSS module will give you remote locks but without the matched ECU the car will be immobilised.
What I have not yet had an opportunity to try out is whether fitting the full system will work or not. I an thinking that fitting a full matched set of
VSS programmed engine ECU, VSS module and matching fobs will at least give basic immobilisation but obviously not an alarm system.

Can anyone confirm this is possible without the need for Tech2 ?

#2 ·
Should be fine, but I want to know how you install the actual VSS module in a car that wasn't wired for it previously? I was under the impression that my 94 had NONE of the wiring and hence putting the module in would be essentially impossible/a total nightmare. Have you seen this done? If so I might be interested how...

#3 ·
Youngsaaber

If your car is of the VSS era (95-98) then the loom is already there. If you look behind and slightly below the passenger side airvent you will see the loom. On non VSS equipped cars it will have a yellow plug installed that links out the required components of the loom that are required (fuel pump etc)
If your 94 is a 95 model then you should find it quite happily sitting there.
Not sure of the Vin number change over, I am sure someone will be able to help though.
I have Dec 1994 car here I am dismantling and it has the loom but no VSS

Phil

#4 ·
Interesting stuff, thanks Phil. My car was registered on 01/08/94, so a good 4 months earlier, not sure how my chances are based upon that. The other thing is that mine's an Aero, and so if it HAD been of VSS era it would surely have had it on it? One possibility is that the PO changed the alarm system to something 'better'-it has got an aftermarket unit on it with a key that came with it, but it's been turned off the whole time I've owned it, presumably because it doesn't work. Worth a look though.

When you say behind and slightly below the passenger air vent, are you saying I need to pull the glovebox out and find it behind there? Not too tricky to look if that's the case. If not where exactly do you mean?

Thanks, Chris

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Chris

The loom is literally behind vent but below the plastic ducting and is fixed to the dash frame just below. However, I think the keyword in your post is glovebox. I suspect the VSS was introduced at the same time as the passenger airbag which of course eliminates the glovebox.

On airbag models, if you pop out the airvent (which you cannot do with a glovebox as it is integral) and look down you will see it. Impossible to miss !
You will see either
A loom with a yellow link plug on the end or
An aluminium casing (the ECU) with the loom plugged in.

If the glovebox models were to have it fitted, you will access it easiest by removing the black 'felt' trim below and peer up towards the airvent from underneath

Just to add to the above.
I have just checked the date of my wifes 94 CSE without VSS ( and a glovebox). It was 1st registered 28th Aug 1994

#6 ·
Ok Phil, thanks for the help there! Well if your wife's is later than mine and doesn't have it then mine won't either-you'd be right I'd think, introduced with the passenger airbag. My old 97 FPT had VSS, and my 96 LPT didn't but presumably would have had said loom for me to put it in if I'd wanted to. Didn't know that at the time though.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to try and get this existing system on it to work, just think fixing it could get pricey (I mean I can't see why it would be turned off unless it was broken!).

Cheers, Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.