SaabCentral Forums banner

Buying a 9000

846 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SOAB 
#1 ·
Im looking at a 1987 Saab 9000 '5 speed 4cyl 16 valve' is what the posting says. But the car is 2 hours away so I guess I need to know what to look for with these old 9000's. Its currently a daily driver according to the guy and has a current inspection and no mechanical problems, all he says is the interior is falling apart. So if I go look at the car are there anythings in specific that I should look at?

#2 ·
a few things to check for would be the condition of the suspension, the control arm bushings, trans shifting smoothly engine mounts and pay close attention to engine noises & leaks..this is kinda general and you could look into more vehicle specific issues on the forum

#6 ·
not sure if your still after the 9k...check to see if it has TCS (not sure how early thet started to put this option in) another area that differs from a c900 is the motor mounts,yes they WILL fail on any 20+ yr old car but the 9k's had hydralic mounts but no fear they have cheaper rubber replacement ones...other than that they are very good everyday cars with really no hidden surprizes

#7 ·
This car will potentially need EVERYTHING replaced, a lot of which wont show signs of failure before it goes.. Such as hydraulic clutch, fuel pump, any amount of sensors, the DI... (oh wait what year was the DI?), etc...
As long as you know you are buying a car that is
a.) Expensive to fix
b.) will probably need to be fixed frequently

Hopefully you're a DIY'er
Can you get a service history to see whats been done in the last 5 years or so?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.