SaabCentral Forums banner

chick with 9000 cranks but wont start...help me!

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  soul_rebel 
#1 ·
okay so some days my 9000 will start up with no problems and others it just cranks and doesnt turn over.....i just moved from maine far away from my saab guy to north carolina and nobody in N.C. owns a saab.... my car has been at automotive place for a few weeks now and this dude has no idea what hes doing... he put in a new fuel pump relay and that didnt work...i really dont know too much about cars soooo if anyone has any ideas on what it could be or knows of any places down here that knows anything about saabs get at me PLEASE!

#2 ·
You might need to have the actual fuel pump unit itself checked out or the Crank Position Sensor checked out as well. It wouldn't hurt to also have the main grounds for the electrical system in the engine compartment cleaned as well..especially the battery cable connectors.

Fuel pumps can work intermittently when they start to get old. Dead spots get worn in the brushes causing the motor not to run.

The crank sensor could be going out as well. If the crank sensor does not register movement of the crank....it will prevent the spark plugs from firing.

#3 ·
The crank sensor could be going out as well. If the crank sensor does not register movement of the crank....it will prevent the spark plugs from firing.
So 1.) have him check for spark, if none, have him check fuel pressure...

Lucky for it when mine was intermittent, it was just the pump relay. Sounds like yours could be the whole pump.. or still a lost electrical connection somewhere. They can hook up a pressure sensor to the line and see if the pump is pressurizing.

#4 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Mine was down to about 8 volts while cranking, it did still start and run.
My fault, I noticed mine does too. IIRC, mine wouldn't start with less than 10v unloaded. It had enough power to crank the engine, but the DI wouldn't fire.

I flipped the DI over with a grounded plug in it and noticed it wouldn't fire unless I had a charger attached.

Fuel pump is easy to check by jumping the fuses.

A DI that doesn't fire won't produce the audible burn-off when the car is shut off.

So if the fuel pump is good it could be:
1. Battery
2. DI
3. Crank sensor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.