off road suspension [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: off road suspension

rossco
22nd March 2002, 08:56 AM
I want to set up my 900 for better handling on dirt roads. My new job makes driving to work like a full on rally drive every day.Any body have any suggestions??

Janne Selinummi
22nd March 2002, 09:53 AM
On dirt roads, narrow tyres are better than low-profile tarmac tyres. Good gas shocks will always improve things.
And, a sports spring kit is best avoided if you drive on dirt roads a lot...

Ken
22nd March 2002, 12:27 PM
If I thought they'd ever actually produce it I'd tell you to hold out for the '93-x'!!

stigs
23rd March 2002, 04:29 AM
...like Janne said,good gas shocks help alot,with poly bush in lower mount...there's a guy here in the States who provides rally valved,rally length Bilsteins' as well as rally-spec springs...but it is $$$???$$$...also consider reinforcing the lower A-arms(boxing them for strength)-easy to do with a welder...make sure your exhaust system is good 'n secure before serious yumping!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stigs on Mar 23, 2002 8:31am ]</font>

fat pat
31st March 2002, 10:30 PM
Get some snow tires, good shocks,and learn to left foot break. Saabs are built to do the rest.

DanF.
1st April 2002, 02:31 PM
I started to figure out the left foot braking in the snow a couple of weeks ago.
God bless snow.
My only question is, how bad is that for the rear end? With all the sideways motion how great is the risk of bending the bar/mount plate that is located directly above the rear axle.
2 winters ago i lost control of my previous Saab and slammed into the side of a snow-encrusted stone wall, there was no body damage, but it wacked the rear end to the left a good 2 inches. So how will all the sideways motion affect the car?
( I will find out on my own soon enough, Im sure. Just wanted to get a more knowledgable opinion.)