SaabCentral Forums banner

92 9k Autobox Failure?

722 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeff325 
#1 ·
let me first say that i hope that this doesnt fall into the TL:DR category

well, its as plain as the title says, auto box failure.... now, the part that has me confused, is that there were no signs that it was going to go out... about 15 minutes before my mother in law, my wife, and myself were on our way to dinner with the newly married brother in law, i heard a sound like a rod knock, but it didn't sound right.... then it went away... so i assumed it was another car that was in the parking lot...

we left, got on the freeway, and as i started to coast down a hill, i felt a "clunk" and saw the rpms drop from 2500@65MPH down to idle@800-950... i pulled over, and had no forward or reverse gears... ended up getting it towed home, and let it sit overnight...

went to work, car has now sat for a total of 22hrs since it got off the tow truck, and still, if i put it in gear, i can see the rpms change like it is engaging, but no motion... revving it up in any gear just revs it up as if i were in neutral...

what i think it may be?(this is where im looking for some help)

-torque conveter went for a walk
-pump went out
-both of the above
-entire transmission shot(hope this is a no)

ive got to do the axles anyway, so thats getting done... anything else i should do since i will have the transmission out? any seals i should replace while im at it? im not looking for this to be a few day adventure, ill have a helper with me and we should be able to get this done in a day(saturday as long as parts are here)

as far as the axles go, PFS lists an inner and an outer... should i change both, since im going to be pulling the trans?

any ideas where i would be able to source a torque converter?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear of the break down but sounds like you will be up and running soon.
A rear main seal would be one to replace while in there and you could replace the outer axles if they are the bad.
check ur PM for possible source of used torque converter..

#3 ·
got your pm, thanks... since im pulling the box, should i go ahead and change the inner axles as well?any other bits for the transmission i should check/replace while its ou, rather than putting it back in to take it right back out ? would hate to do it more than once...

#6 ·
It's easiest to drop the auto box out from the bottom of the car, if you have a lift. But when doing it this way be sure to have an engine support beam across the engine compartment and it's connected to the engine lift lug on the left rear of the block. This has to be done as when you remove the transmission, there is no support for the left side of the engine in the mounts.

To remove the transmission you will need to take out the battery and tray, and then undo the bolts on the starter and move that out of the way. You will also need to disconnect the main gear selector cable and the throttle kick down cable. And don't forget to remove the banjo bolts for the two transmission oil cooler lines.

Then there are 3 bolts that hold the torque converter to the companion flange that have to be removed. You access them from the bottom of the transmission near the engine block.

Then you take out the left CV axle from the companion flange.

After this you would remove the left front part of the subframe on the car. T

Then unbolt the transmission from the engine block. Then get a transmission jack underneath it, secure it to the transmission and pull out towards the left.

Then slowly let the jack down.....make sure more than one person is guiding the tranny at this point....you don't want that auto box falling on you, it's one heavy chunk of metal.

That's the best I can recall right now when we dropped the one in my car earlier this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.