Motorcycle accident [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Motorcycle accident

TROLLhattenschatten
4th May 2009, 11:37 AM
I went to visit my family in Niagara Falls this weekend and my brother bought a 200cc enduro bike (for those who don't know it is a cross between a dirtbike and a motorcycle). he got it for $150 and all it needed was a new tire and drive-chain. we where fooling around with it and i got too confident and went third gear in my driveway (a 400 foot long mix of crushed stone, loose gravel and blacktop) the front wheel locked up and i bailed. i slid a good 3 feet on the ground and the bike landed almost next to me on it's side.

Lucky for me my brother was in the garage and was next to me before i even stoped sliding. he helped me up and took me into the house, bandaged me. i tore a good amount of skin off my left hand which i can't use for much now. other than that i cut my right knee pretty good and have random cuts everywhere else. so my left arm has been in a sling since Saturday.

When i felt comfortable enough, i went out to look at the damage on the bike...front shocks twisted, gas tank moved over about 3 inches, handle grips / brake lever torn up and the rear brake pedal smashed in flat.
it's fixed now (he worked on it all day yesterday) but i wish i could've taken a picture of the bike and the ruts where i slid and the bike landed.

So, he is going to sell it, we have no real use for a 200cc. instead we are looking at buying a nice 125cc so that even my little brother can use it.

But yeah, this sucks. i can't do anything on my own right now, no videogames, no cooking and i can barely type. i am probably home all week from work...

Saab forever
4th May 2009, 11:44 AM
Sorry about it Troll. As a rider, I know how it hurts!. And, probably how you feel. At least, the bike was not worth much, so you are not overly sorry about it. When I dragged my bike for a bit (I fell at a very low speed, almost stopped), I was feeling more worried about the bike than myself!.

Get well soon and ride again!. :)

Swede Dreams
4th May 2009, 12:38 PM
Hey, buddy, a great big GET WELL SOON from Swede in Kentucky.

TROLLhattenschatten
4th May 2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys, i was doing 30+MPH. the reason the wheel locked is because we where trying to fix the speedometer and i guess when i put the shaft back in the mechanism overheated and jammed (this is a guess, i may have hit the front brake...i don't remember too much)

I did feel worse about the bike than myself...it looked like crap...honestly i got teary eyed because i felt so bad for my brother.

I grew up riding 250cc's as a kid, my neighbor would take us out on them...i guess it's just been awhile. you can bet the moment this heals i will be out there again...on the trails in the woods...with gloves and alittle more respect for this thing...

TROLLhattenschatten
4th May 2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.800-scooters.com/mediac/400_0/media/panterra$20125cc.jpg

This is a stock photo of the bike, only difference is the one in the photo is a 125cc

Swede Dreams
4th May 2009, 01:30 PM
I've fell off a few dirt bikes, one being a 250cc Yamaha Enduro, (went over the bars into a ditch on that one). I cut my teeth, not literally, on a Honda CK70, when I was about 8. It's been a long time since I saw a CK70. Those little bikes had a 3 speed tranny with a centrifical clutch. Swede

Jezzadee
4th May 2009, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear it. Front brakes on loose stone can cause it to slip very easily at slow speeds, so that could be it. I'm paranoid about coming off after seeing a kid peel the right side of himself down the tarmac on a roundabout. Even if I'm just going out to the shops I have leather jacket, gloves and overtrousers on. And helmet, obv.

TROLLhattenschatten
4th May 2009, 02:17 PM
Jezz, that's the funny thing. i am BIG on protective gear, i never ever go out without a helmet, gloves, long pants and sweatshirt - i don't care if it is 90* outside.

But for some odd reason, at that moment i didn't have gloves on. it figures it is the one time i had a hard fall.

Question, does anybody know mow much skin needs to be gone to require a skin graph? i am getting paranoid....

DanF.
4th May 2009, 02:42 PM
It'll be fine, just leaves a manly scar.

TROLLhattenschatten
4th May 2009, 02:50 PM
i know, just being paranoid.

I don't think i ever told this story before (you guys are going to think i am lying with all the stories ihave) but when i was 15 i cut thje tip of my right index finger off in a bicycle sprocket. that finger is noticeably shorter but healed 100% with no scarrig.

boon94
4th May 2009, 04:59 PM
i know, just being paranoid.

Post some pics and we'll tell you ;)

TROLLhattenschatten
4th May 2009, 05:36 PM
I'd rather not post pics...

If you go to wiki -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_healing
the first pic looks like mine but mine is alot bigger (WARNING: not for the faint hearted ;))

TROLLhattenschatten
6th May 2009, 09:40 PM
I have a question - the wound is looking alot better but there is still alot of seepage which makes me think of infection, but i show no other signs of it. it don't really look like it is closing up though :confused:

I refuse to go to the hospital, i do not really agree with their cleaning methods :o

Also i have stopped cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide and started taking amoxicillin instead since the HP is so bad for skin.

Is anybody here good with open wounds? i searched google images but didn't find anything that looks like mine...

Rennsport1
6th May 2009, 11:38 PM
What about your doctor, or a local doctor's office ? I'd get it looked at.

euromobile900
7th May 2009, 05:33 AM
Man, you have been having a rough time, what with your car dying and then the Hyundai and now this. :( Get better soon--and better luck to you in the future!

SAABCentral isn't the place to go for sound medical advice. You should take it to a doctor if you're worried. How big is it? The size of a playing card? Bigger? I've recovered from pretty bad roadrash received in bicycle crashes (a couple of 15mph ones when I was 8 and 10) and I've seen much worse. If it's bigger than the area of a playing card, or if it's deep and gougey, or if there are rocks embedded in it, SEE A DOCTOR. You DON'T want rocks inside your hand, nor do you want an infection.

I once took a seminar on roadrash, given by a doctor who has worked some bigger American bicycle races. Roadrash is the kind of thing doctors at bike races have to deal with the most. (in the heat of competition, crashes aren't uncommon). They scrub the wound out immediately with a rough brush and some stuff that kills everything (believe it's peroxide based) with maybe some topical anesthetic. It hurts like hell to do that, but it's worth it if you do it immediately. They then pick out any embedded stones and cover it with nonstick gauze and bandage, usually smearing with triple antibiotic ointment or bacitracin. If it's big, and you didn't scrub it out like that, I'd take it in to make sure it's not infected and see what they say you should do.

As far as signs of infection, if it is oozing clear it's probably not infected. The clear ooze is just your body making a protective covering, which would dry into a scab if you didn't bandage it (Don't let it dry out and turn into a scab--this will cause scarring. Keep it covered.). Oozing white and pus means bad infection take it in to doctor immediately.

TROLLhattenschatten
7th May 2009, 06:51 PM
I know this is not a medical forum, but i figure somebody here must know something. i have had a lot of injurys before but this is the worst case of "road rash" i have had. and besides, you can't poke at it with a brush through the internet :cheesy:

I think it's fine...everything you just described is exactly what i did...like i said i am taking an antibiotic and covering it with bactitracin whenever i change the bandage. i feels much better today...

It is about the size of a silver dollar...

Cuba
7th May 2009, 07:14 PM
I have a question - the wound is looking alot better but there is still alot of seepage which makes me think of infection, but i show no other signs of it. it don't really look like it is closing up though :confused:

It wont "close up" as it were, but heal from the from the bottom up. Sounds like you're doing the right thing, generally. If you haven't seen a doctor, what type of antibiotic have you "prescribed" yourself?

TROLLhattenschatten
7th May 2009, 07:22 PM
Nothing illegal if that's what your asking :lol::cheesy:

Amoxicillin 500Mg Capsules. i used to get strep throat all the time so i pretty much have a bunch stockpiled.

Cuba
7th May 2009, 07:34 PM
Cubita seems to think Doxycycline would be the right one. However, if you're keeping the site clean and using an anti-bacterial, then you should be right anyway.

TROLLhattenschatten
7th May 2009, 07:40 PM
I have never heard of that, is it prescription or OTC?

Cuba
7th May 2009, 08:38 PM
I have never heard of that, is it prescription or OTC?

Don't know about where you live. Prescription here methinks.

euromobile900
8th May 2009, 05:22 AM
Yeah, if it's the size of a silver dollar, it's not so bad. Again, just make damn sure there aren't rocks in it. The antibiotics are up to you--I wouldn't be taking any, but I don't like to use 'em preventatively without a prescription.

TROLLhattenschatten
8th May 2009, 10:25 AM
Well, i would rather take preventive measures than have it happen and then try to cure it.

I got really sick last night though, i don't know if it is what i ate, the medication or the stress from work though...

Jezzadee
8th May 2009, 12:14 PM
Go to a doctor. Or a pharmacist at the very least. They will at least know from looking at the injury whether you need to be on antibiotics or not, whether to dress the wound or leave it open, etc. Which is more than any of us do.

Given that you are getting sick as well, I'm surprised you haven't sought medical advice already. If you have dirt in the wound it could go septic and you could end up with blood poisoning.

TROLLhattenschatten
8th May 2009, 12:27 PM
Well...since i have the day off...i guess i will go to the doctors just to have it looked at...

Rennsport1
8th May 2009, 09:18 PM
And, so how's the hand ?

TROLLhattenschatten
10th May 2009, 11:45 PM
Much better thank you. i called the hospital and they said it is "normal" infection (:confused:) that will go away if i keep doing what i have been.

I changed the bandages last night and it looked great!!! all the infection is gone! should be another 4 days before i can put that hand to good use without worry.

Also, i was able to get on the bike again today because the hand is healed enough to use the clutch. went to low 3rd on the trails behind my house...nothing stupid...yet :cheesy:

valbowski1980
11th May 2009, 12:01 AM
Feel better man! Sucks being hurt and not being able to have any fun.

TROLLhattenschatten
11th May 2009, 12:17 AM
I feel better, i rebuilt the carburetor on the moped today, damn thing still leaks gas :(

Jezzadee
11th May 2009, 05:08 AM
Glad you are on the mend.