Are we getting a bl**dy exhaust from longlife or what? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Are we getting a bl**dy exhaust from longlife or what?

90t16Saero
21-03-02, 02:09 PM
I've phoned the Sheffield branch today to book my car in for the week after
Easter, are we gonna get a group buy going or what as I don't wanna lose out on saving some cash. They do the system for 289 as someone has already said and a range of back boxes starting at 30 and going to about 100 plus. Come on, you know you want one!

tandino
21-03-02, 02:21 PM
Im up for getting one as i have spoken to John W in person, first thing for me is to get the gearbox in so i can get to Longlife without reducing any more years off my life from worry about the gearbox letting go!
Does the group buy still work if we goto different branches? i wonder?
Pete.

Alanb
21-03-02, 02:47 PM
I'm really after the downpipe (which I definitely up for) but I'm willing to be convinced about the advantages of a full system.

Alanb

john-w
21-03-02, 03:40 PM
Well the group buy deal was that we got at least 4 cars done in the same period, not certain if this would include different branches, as I guess their a franchise and therefore operate independantly!!

90t16Saero
22-03-02, 05:02 PM
I dunno about the different branch thing as I went through their head office, so maybe if we go through that route then we could get them to do us a good deal. The thing I need to know is when do we all wanna have it done cos I just fitted new disks, competition pads (bloody expensive) and new 17" wheels with 205/40/17 F1's on! I now need to get my back suspension done and I think that is more of a priority this month. Saying that though, unlike you guys (i think), I actually need a new exhaust as mine sounds like someone has thrown a load of very small metal fragments into it! Ouch! So, do we wanna get the group buy going on when we are gonna get it done?

tandino
22-03-02, 11:46 PM
Hey thats a b1oody long way for a sandwhich and a Shandy.... if you know a girl who'll do a hand shandy i might be interested!!!!
Pete.

Mark P
23-03-02, 12:09 AM
Down boy!

MEL
23-03-02, 02:26 AM
who are the sheffield dealers?

mel

john-w
25-03-02, 06:12 PM
Well my MOT is out at the end of April and as i have a blowing exhaust, i will need to get it sorted out by then!
So how does that fit in with the others who have expressed an interest in getting this exhaust system fitted?
If the responce is good, i'm hoping to screw a few more percent discount then the 10% already offered!!

90t16Saero
27-03-02, 02:23 PM
Booked my car in for a full system including the downpipe, 425 with a choice of different back boxes. April 9th is the day so will let you know how i get on.

tandino
27-03-02, 02:29 PM
What bore size are you getting? 3" all the way back would be nice!, i really want the exhaust but my gearbox is the first priority as im not even using any boost at the moment to try to prolong its life!
Pete.

90t16Saero
27-03-02, 04:16 PM
I think the idea is a 2.25" bore, but i'll see what they can do when i get there as they reckon its gonna be an all day job.

john-w
27-03-02, 06:37 PM
How did you get from 289 to 425 is it just the downpipe, what rear pipe/box are you getting? Back to the downpipe are you having one made to get rid of the sharp bend ie...relocate the battery??

90t16Saero
30-03-02, 04:44 PM
Im just getting the down pipe done in S/S. Nothing fancy, the pipe itself is 88. Not bad really, im gonna go into more detail about what i want next week. I'll let you know the response. Some of their back boxes go over the 100 mark so they have said included in the price is any choice of back box that i want. Shall i get a big one and check it for furry animals in the morning or shall i be conservative? LOL

rich
09-04-02, 03:58 PM
what's the latest then....

Mark P
11-04-02, 04:04 PM
How's the new set-up? Did you get it done?

Mark P

90t16Saero
12-04-02, 05:25 PM
All done, and what a huge difference in throttle response and torque! At the top end its a different car, I had over 140MPH on the way back no problem, and some left. The biggest difference is the power at the top of the rev range, just keeps on pulling.

They dont actually fit a back box, you get a middle free flow box and another at the rear with a 4" back pipe! They could only do the system in 2.25 S/S as their machine for 2.5" was knackered! Still, Im more than happy with it. Cat gone and a lovely deep noise but not that loud until you push it, which I do on a daily basis!

Next is another intercooler and uprated APC I think. Probably get another dump valve.

I would definately recommend the service I got there though, very professional and exactly what I wanted.

Nuts
15-04-02, 09:00 AM
Are you going to take any pictures at all?

I am starting to think of having a full 3 inch exhaust from tip to tail. And I'd like to see a real life example of Longlife's work. :smile:

Also did you ever get an apporximate price on a 3inch system (inc downpipe) in stainless steel? And how long did it take for them to get it on once the car was there?

Sorry for all the questions, just I am very interested now.

john-w
16-04-02, 10:57 AM
Got the 900 booked in for this Saturday for a full system, including removing the restrictive elbow on the exit from the turbo. This means I will need to get the battery moved into the back by Sat, but I have managed to get all I will need from work, so just a matter of making up a box to sit the battery in!!

rich
16-04-02, 11:21 AM
do you really want the battery sitting over the fuel tank?

couldn't you move the battery (+ heat shield) further up in the engine bay?

just a thought...........

john-w
16-04-02, 01:44 PM
Well I suppose if the fuel tank was to spring a leak at the same time as the battery was short circuiting, then you may have a point!!

Alex
17-04-02, 02:38 PM
At which point I would just give up and assume that someone REALLY had it in for me!

john-w
18-04-02, 11:43 AM
Well the battery is now housed in the boot of the 900, ready for the new exhaust on Saturday. Fairly straightforward job, just took about 3hrs over 2 nights. Not boxed it in yet, can't make up my mind either to make a wooden box and cover it with carpet or buy a proper battery box from wiring products!
Let you all know how saturday goes, as soon as poss and hopefully have a few pictures as well!!

90t16Saero
18-04-02, 04:56 PM
What are u having done then? The 3"?

john-w
19-04-02, 12:15 AM
Andy,
Didn't know they did a 3ins I was going for the 2.5 but with the bend at the turbo removed, hence, the battery relocation!!

tandino
20-04-02, 10:51 AM
Just been upto Longlife to meet JohnW, i had to get the center silencer replaced on my car as it keeps hitting the speedbumps down the road from me!, i had it replaced with a straight piece of stainless steel instead of the silencer, they are good chaps down there as they were really busy but still managed to squeeze me in, they didnt have time to do me a system though but ive got some prices for the job.
The branch i went to (Wallington nr Croydon ish) have the equipment to produce a 3" system if thats what you want including the turbo elbow.
With the center silencer removed the sound is nice and burbley!!
Im sure John will be here soon telling us about his new system!!
I think the guys at Longlife must have told the owners of the Londis store next door that John was in town as they seemed well stocked on pie's!!!!!!!
Pete.

john-w
20-04-02, 11:39 AM
Well as Pete said back from having the new exhaust fitted at Longlife Exhausts.
The guys down there were absolutely brilliant, they removed the restrictive 90 degree bend out of the turbo and made up a new outlet with more of a curve to it!
Then they shaped a pipe through to the rear box and fitted in a high performance muffler, then another pipe to an oval tailpipe.
All the brackets were made up as the system was fitted and welded into place on the original hangers
The car really feels different, it was just so hard to keep under 100mph on the M25 on the way back and the car has a great sound, it just sits there and burbles!!
Anybody looking for a great exhaust at a great price should give Longlife a look!!
http://www.exhausts.uk.com/home.cfm

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/uploads/exhaust-outlet.jpg

Johann F
20-04-02, 12:30 PM
John,
That exhaust elbow looks really nice - I reckon it acounts for most of the increased performance you are experiencing.

john-w
20-04-02, 01:41 PM
Another!!
./uploads/exhaust.jpg

Alanb
20-04-02, 03:03 PM
John,

I was waiting for your post. Looks like a really nice job. What differences have you noticed? Quicker spool up? Better top end delivery?

Now I've seen what they can do I'll be booking my car into the Bristol branch for a 3" downpipe.

Alanb

Alex
21-04-02, 03:39 AM
John,

That looks really nice. Any further pictures of it yet?

Keith
21-04-02, 04:15 AM
John try this uploader for bigger piccies...

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/

john-w
21-04-02, 04:17 AM
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/uploads/DSC00312.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/uploads/DSC00313.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/uploads/DSC00315.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/uploads/DSC00317.jpg

90t16Saero
21-04-02, 03:30 PM
I have to agree with John on everything he has said, im totally satisfied with the job they did on mine in the Sheffield branch. The first thing i noticed was the difference in power at the top end. I've been hitting well over 140MPH since they fitted it.

Mad for it! APC next and an extra intercooler! Say goodbye to my first gearbox me thinks!

Nuts
22-04-02, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the pics John, looks like a nice job!

What does the tail pipe look like?

ageybaby
27-04-02, 05:15 AM
just been in to save on tyres in exeter they will do a system from cat back including de cat pipe for 280 in stainless. Any thoughts anybody

Simon
27-04-02, 06:36 AM
Are they a national company?

Simon.

john-w
27-04-02, 08:56 AM
And here's the tailpipe...
./uploads/tailpipe.jpg

ageybaby
28-04-02, 05:20 AM
They are a national company inasmuch as they fit powerflow exhaust.And i've seen an advert in 1 of the car mags for branches all over the country

Simon
06-06-02, 06:39 AM
Looks like the exhaust on the Convertible is on it's way out. I always intended to get it replaced with Stainless and get the CAT removed when it did finally fall off. How much did you guys end up paying in the end for a full system? Looks like Powerflow charge 350.00 for the complete system.

Simon.

90t16Saero
06-06-02, 04:03 PM
You are not looking at more than 300 for a system from the front pipe back, using your existing front pipe that is.

Simon
06-06-02, 04:16 PM
You had your CAT removed right? Do they unbolt the CAT and bolt the new system onto what is left of the downpipe?

Simon.

john-w
06-06-02, 04:21 PM
Simon,
I got mine for 185 and that included the new turbo outlet, mind you I did play on the fact that loads of us from saab-900 were on our way!!!

Simon
06-06-02, 04:24 PM
Did they all turn up or did you make a sharp exit!? 185.00 is a bargain. Where did you get yours done?

Simon.

tandino
06-06-02, 05:26 PM
John i thought it was 285.
Simon i got a price from Charlie who owns/runs the London outlet as follows (for a turbo car
2 1/2 system from downpipe 250,
2 1/2 from turbo to tailpipe 300,
3" from turbo to tailpipe 380.

Hope this helps!

Pete.

Simon
07-06-02, 03:05 AM
Thanks Pete, where abouts in London?

Simon.

tandino
07-06-02, 06:56 AM
Siomon the branch is in Carlshalton nr Croydon, ill try to dig the address out later if JohnW doesnt beat me to it.

Pete.

john-w
07-06-02, 09:45 AM
Yeah sorry was 285 must be going mad in my old age!!
The address is on their website http://www.exhausts.uk.com