SaabCentral Forums banner

Auto gearbox? whine

673 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim Mesthene 
#1 ·
Hello all - new poster here. Just bought a "cheap" 96 9000 CDE 2l Eco automatic; everything seems to work OK, engine bay, oils etc clean & tidy, and there's quite a bit of good, recent service history with it.
Only worry I have is...there's a noticeable whine at idle, which seems to reduce when driving. Box seems to change smoothly up and down, with no other funny noises. I'm assuming it's from the box, tho' I could be wrong.
Any ideas? Drive on, turn the radio up.....or panic? I've got a long trip in 2 weeks time and would quite like to get there.... and back!

#2 ·
hello welcome to SAAB central.
As far as the noise you will have to go under hood and try to find what area its originating from as well as check your fluids, belts and pulleys as these may cause noises too...the hope is you catch it b4 the trip so as not to get stranded.
let us know what you find in order to help you better....

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply....yep - it's definitely coming from the gearbox. Pulleys etc all seem quiet, oils are clean and right levels, no leaks, funny smells/colours. G/box oil is clean & pink - v fetching! Gearbox works fine, changes up/down as you'd expect, kicks down promptly & smoothly. All seems to be well, but there's this noticeable whine in N, P, D etc which follows engine speed, there all the time tho it's less significant at speed as wind. tyres etc take over. Will it go on & on like this for ages, go bang, or what? When? What I'd really like is for somebody to say "it's OK, lots do this for months/years...don't worry!" Nobody has yet, tho....!

#4 ·
....there's this noticeable whine in N, P, D etc which follows engine speed, there all the time....
The most common cause of that complaint is the Transmission's Front Pump. It can (and should) be fixed without a complete overhaul. Find a Professional who is familiar with these Gearboxes to do the repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.