SaabCentral Forums banner

9000 aero electrical problem.... help!!!!

683 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mick44 
#1 ·
hi there, i recently brought this 9000 aero auto ( never wanted an auto but hey ill live with it) my problem is this, sometimes when i turn the ignition on the votage meter reads about 7 volts i start the car and it goes up to 8 volts and as soon as i turn the lights on the dash lights go out and the car starts to miss so i turn it off take the key out of the ignition put it back in and start the car and its fine reading 13.9 volts and everything works fine! also sometimes the main beam wont work (could be the switch? ive checked the alternator and it seems to be working fine so im not sure so has anybody any ideas please? ive owned 9 9000s and have wanted an aero for a long time and love driving it but am wary about taking it out in the evening with the problem it as at the moment

#2 ·
Usually this means you need a new battery. The voltmeter holds the battery voltage reading after starting until you move the car, or at least it is supposed to. Anything below about 9 volts on a regular basis means you need a new battery. Make sure you get the corretc one as SAAB swapped the positive and negative cable positions some time around 1993, you need a later spec battery, same size just not th R which denotes the reversed polarity ie the battery posts are reversed in physical position and denoted R in the battery model number for older 9000's. You need the regular non reversed poles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.