SaabCentral Forums banner

Full boost power loss

885 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Superaero 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a new owner of an 89 9000 5spd and I am running into a little issue. In second gear up under load and full boost (10 psi), at 4k rpm there is massive power loss. it continues until 5k. That 1k takes a long time to progress. Boost never tapers off but power is surgey and nowhere near full thrust.

Here is a list of what has been done to the car (this problem existed before these changes):

New E3 plugs
New cap & rotor
New wires
some new vaccum lines
cleaned mass air
cleaned apc cont.
3in cat back
auto meter boost gauge

After cleaning the mass air and the apc the problem cleared up for one night but was back the next day. Also when the power loss occurs it is running rich (can smell fuel). The power loss and rev slow down is slightly less the higher the gear, but is still very noticable. Do I need to run a pressure test to search for leaks (vaccum/ boost)? could the apc be bad? Do I need to reset the ecu? Any help to get pointed in the right direction would help.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Just did that. It helped, but it see-saws with thrust. The boost stays between 9-10 lbs. There were a lot of lines that terminated w/o clamps but looked like original hoses. I put clamps on the ones I thought could blow off. Can't get to the bottom of the regulator though for a clamp.

#7 ·
MAF = Mass air flow

Unless it's the vane type with an analog output, they're difficult to check. Maybe you can get one from an autoparts place that will let you return it if you don't need it.

The only other thing I can think of besides that and the fuel pressure regulator is the fuel filter. A dirty one will limit the fuel flow when it's needed the most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.