SaabCentral Forums banner

Clutch Rattle, Replaced EVERYTHING, Always Comes Back

557 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  caindog110 
#1 ·
HI all,

I'm having a really persistent and very expensive problem that I absolutely cannot solve. This is how it started. I own a 96 9000 aero MT. I bought it with 99k on it. I noticed one of the coils on the the APC valve was shorted causing to the car to sometimes over boost until the fuel cutoff in 2nd or third gear. Obviously this creats a very very violent jolt to the entire drive train. SO this happened only one with me, unsure how ofren this happened before. A month later or so, i was shifting form 3rd to 4th on a hiway onramp and suddenly the car shook, make a wining rubbing sound and the clutch pedal was pulsating. At this time evrythin was jammed up, so i pushed the cluth hard and released it quickly and everything shook again and was quiet but the engaing of the cluth was rather soft and shaky. So I limped home and opened the hood and saw that there was a gap between the block and the bell housing. I immediately brought it to the mechanics and determoned the tranny failed, afer i had it towed there, they couldn't even get it into gear. SO i bought a new tranny. But now the clutch was engaging horribly, it was light, and it was pulating. also i burned up the cluth in 400 miles or so. So afer 3 different high peformance clutches and a new flywheel i narrowed the problem down to a bent crank. I could see through the vent hole and see my cluch moving back and forth during idel in neutral.
Now i just recently rebult the entire engine and installed a new crank. No more clutch moving back and forth. The cluth engages smoothly and everything seems fine. Now 30o mi on the engine i now hear that rattling sound that he car has been doing for a year. When the car is in neutral and i release the cluth fast it makes a rattling sound. it i releae it slowly is doesnt. But as time goes on it makes more and more sound and tends to rattle no matter how i release the cluth. When i drive next to a high curb or brick building i can hear that rattling sound when im ingaged in gear and driving. Yesterday i was checking thre clutch system and found thats some of my clutch fluid was burned or so, so I fluhed the system and things seem better, the clutch engages better but that rattling sound is still there sometimes.
note, the rattlin is directly related to the speed of the engine. about one clunk sound per rotation of the engine. Its a very regular sound and when things get bad, ill get two clink/clunks per rototion. I can get the car to make the sound when i press the gas a bit and engage the cluth quickly in neutral

Does anyone have an idea?? thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
If anybody has the same problem...

This sound seems to be directly connected with the clutch system. I flushed the entire system multiple times and the clutch now seems a bit better. Im going to install a new master cylinder and see if it fixes the rest of my problems. I still notice the rattling but only one in a blue moon now. The fluid I flushed was in bad it was a deep grey, must have been from the repeated overheating of my clutch. It seems the slower the slave cylinder reacts, the more rattling occurs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.