SaabCentral Forums banner

Rattle in suspension/steering. I'm lost.

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  rawill 
#1 · (Edited)
I replaced my tie rod ends and ball joints two weeks ago. A few days after I did it, I began to notice a small rattle in the front end. It is hard to hear, but when your car isn't "normal" you just know it.

It happens when I drive at any speed, it feels and sounds like something is loose but I cannot find it. Sometimes when I am braking, I hear a slight but steady knock. Could it be the inner tie rods?
In addition, there isn't any clicking when I turn.

#5 ·
I didn't disconnect the brakes. I drove it again today. I drove slow in a parking lot and it sounds exactly like a bad ball joint. I can feel it slightly through the steering wheel, but can't figure out what side it is coming from. I took off both wheels and checked everything but cannot find a loose bolt.

Does the sway bar make a noise?

#6 ·
Is there a universal joint in the steering column that needs a little tighten on the bolts. Movement here can sometimes cause a steering 'knock' when everything else is fine.

#8 ·
I think I found it!

I was looking at my strut mounts and it took a bit to notice but they look a little different...

Passenger side

Drivers side

I drove slow again and it sounds like it is coming from my strut mounts, and my drivers side looks like it's bad. What do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.