SaabCentral Forums banner

Headlight (relay?) problems

743 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spanishsaab 
#1 ·
Hi all :)

I'm really hacked off with my headlights on my '97 Saab 9000 CSE. In general, my main beam has been turning itself off whenever it feels like it. This isn't good when you need to get around in the dark! Sometimes they turn back on again after flicking the high beam on and off a few times, but not always...

I've done some research and most people suggest relay (red) problems, yeh, makes sense to me. I have put two, admittedly second hand, relays in and things seem ok for a while, but the problem returned again to my frustration.

Does anyone think I've just had a bad run on relays, or is the problem coming from elsewhere. I don't know if a faulty indicator/high-beam stem or stalk could cause problems, or anything else for that matter.

Thanks in advance, Mark

#2 ·
Pull the relay. Pry the circuit board open to examine it. You will likely find a solder joint cracked. This is due to thermal expansion due to heat to crack the joint. Reflow it with the solder gun the symptom will be gone.

#3 ·
Thanks

Thanks Yaofeng

I did have a look at the solder joints; in 2 of my relays they look fine, but in 1 of them is in obvious need of repair. I think I will have to give your suggestion a go; it still seems strange to me that this is the problem in 3 different relays, is it such a common fault?

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.