SaabCentral Forums banner

speedo failure

961 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bagheera 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new here. Just purchased a very nice 94 9000 CSE (about 112k miles) but the speedo and odometer do not function. Well, it worked for about 20 sec once. I fitted a new toothed sender unit as the old one had sharp teeth and was a little scored. Still no go. The car has stalled twice but this does not happen very often. I understand that there is the probability of having to strip the gearbox to replace a nylon gear. Yikes - is there any way around this apart from using a Sat Nav system? How much will this affect the running of the car and if the gearbox strip is the only answer, is there any description on this site that would help?
Any answers would be gratefully received. Thanks

#4 ·
How much will this affect the running of the car and if the gearbox strip is the only answer, is there any description on this site that would help?
Did you try connecting the back of the speedo cable to a cordless drill and running the drill in reverse? This will verify if you have an internal speedometer problem or a transaxle related issue.

As stated, the car will run and drive, but it will run on a "safe" map; also a very rich fuel mixture. This will ultimately kill your 02 sensor. FWIW, I had the same problem in my 94 Aero for about 2yrs. The cost of replacing the internal gear is about the same as rebuilding the complete transaxle so I had little motivation to spend $1800.

Once I did replace the trans, the car felt like it gained an additional 40hp and has been very responsive.

#5 ·
Thanks for your input, Diamond Dave. Didn't try connecting toothed sender (sorry, don't know technical word for it) to a drill but on hand spinning , the speedo worked. On putting a finger into the hole that the toothed sender fits into, couldn't really feel anything that would connect to the sender. I think that a gearbox strip is inevitable but am putting it off (like a trip to the dentist when you have toothache). It seems such a dramatic thing to have to do in order to fit a small, cheap part that affects the whole running of the car. But that, as they say, is life!

#7 ·
Dave, don't get your hat ready yet! But thanks anyway. It will be down more to a friend and I will be the gopher. Lets see what happens. I have every faith in him. The part incidentally is no. 8734964 and is a pressure fit on the diff, if that is any help to anyone. I assume the order numbers are the same in US as in UK. Cost about £6 - (?? $8-9).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.