SaabCentral Forums banner

Squeaky brakes

645 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Robinb 
#1 ·
So, lately my brakes have developed a piercing and very unpleasant squeak below about 15mph, when you pull it to a stop. It's getting progressively louder. Any idea what causes such a noise? Pads and disks were replaced about 2000 miles ago so I'm a bit lost...

Thanks, Chris

#2 ·
pad squeal is quite common. Sometimes there is a pad lubricant that can be applied to the metal back of the pads where they are contacted by the caliper psiton (you have to remove them to do this). Sometimes you can remove the pads and use emery cloth to sand off the sharp edes all around the pads which is where the noise originates.

Before doing any of this I would bed the pads in again by doing several very hard braking actions successively to encourage deposition of pad material onto the rotors.

The squeal originates from slip/stick friction at the edges of the pads as they scrub across the discs, causing harmonics to occur in the pads which are then amplified through the calipers and rotors.

#4 ·
Posted by Superaero: Sometimes there is a pad lubricant that can be applied to the metal back of the pads where they are contacted by the caliper psiton (you have to remove them to do this).
Just for the record, I had squeak problems just like yours, YoungSaaber. I got some of that lubricant from eBay, and after a few days, the squeaks were gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.