SaabCentral Forums banner

9K turbo 5 spd differential question

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim Mesthene 
#1 ·
So a few months ago I was taking a hard left corner in 2nd gear and heard a popping noise, followed by no forward movement. It fell like the car fell out of gear, no grinding or oil blowing out the bottom of the tranny. Now when I shift the car into any gear, it feels like its in gear, but the engine free wheels with no forward/reverse movement. I jacked up the front of the car and put the car in gear. When turning over one of the front wheels, the opposing wheel down not spin in the reverse direction as it should. This leads me to believe one of the drive shafts broke. Is there any way I can determine whether it is the center, right or left driveshaft that is broken? Also are there any tips/tricks for removing these parts?
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
When this happened to me it was the pinion gear in the differential breaking that caused it, also tried to come out the side of the casing so was easy to figure out the problem.

Fix requires gearbox out, then take it to a competent rebuuilder w/aab experience or replace w/ a second hand unit.

If you have the skills and pullers, ect. to rebuild it yourself somewhere out on the web are one or more full guides as to how to do it, 5 spanner level of skill needed.

#5 ·
Wait a minute Jim, if the right road wheel will not spin the left road wheel in the opposite direction when both front wheels are off the ground then it cannot be clutch related. This has to be a failure downstream of the input shaft, and most probably is something broken in the final drive, a known weakness in the Aero.

#4 ·
Most likely is a broken spider gear, "pinion" gear or other failure in the transmission, most likely in the final drive. This is very bad news but, on the bright side, with an Aero you can now install that Quaife torsen limited slip differential you've been wanting! :cool:

There are several other places that can break in the transmission which would result in no drive. It matters not as the transmission has to be stripped to repair any of it.

It is very unlikely that the driveshafts or center shaft is the problem. If any of these fail then you would see the results physicaly in damage to the rubber boots and grease or oil escaping, plus the joints themselves would be noisy and rough when you tried to spin the road wheels by hand.

To check if it is a broken drive shaft simply jack up each front wheel, one at a time, and watch the shaft itself. If the left side outer joint has somehow failed then the entire half shaft will not turn. If the inner driveshaft is broken then the shaft will turn but the inner CV joint boot should twist a little. From the right side the same things apply except that there is another seal at the far end of the center shaft where it is driven by the transmission. If the entire shaft and center shaft turn then it is that center shaft. More likely it is further inside the transmission. If the outer half shaft turns but the center drive shaft does not then the "inner' CV joint on the half shaft or the center bearing is gone, also unlikely.

Buy a remanufactured transmission, or repair the one you have. If you repair the one you have consider installing the Torsen lsd as part of the repair.

#7 ·
I started up the car today to see if I could determine anything new. The speedometer works when the car is in gear and running, in both forward gears and reverse. I noticed towards the end of the test gear oil leaking out of what appears to be the speedometer sensor. When the car was in a forward gear the left wheel appeared to roll with less resistance when spun forward by hand than the right side. This makes me think that the disconnection is to the left wheel. Again there were no grinding noises of any sort. Is it possible that the right drive could have popped out of the transaxle?

#8 ·
If the Speedo Drive is spinning, the Ring Gear is spinning. You've lost drive, so it's Final Drive or Axle.
Look at the oil leak, that could be the cracked Case I mentioned above.

#10 · (Edited)
The clutch pedal offer resistance to pushing but the car won’t move, like it’s in neutral
Bad news, your clutch disc has burst. Replace disc and any other damaged parts.
That's a quote from this site:
http://www.se-r.net/car_info/drivetrain_tips.html#Troubleshooting
Click on "troubleshooting" under "Clutches"
The page is very informative.

When it happens, there's zero Drive, none.
I'll try to find a picture of a Clutch that's lost all its lining.

Edit:
Another explanation:
http://everything2.com/title/exploding%20clutch%20disc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.