SaabCentral Forums banner

Out with the old and in with the not so old

506 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Hangfire 
#1 ·
Hi all

After suffering sudden big end bearing failure I have been trying to decide if I should replace the engine in my 96 9000 Aero auto or break it. After weeks of deliberation I've decided to replace the engine. I've only had it a few months but I've become rather attached to it so I just can't bring myself to split it. The last owner spent a fortune getting it resprayed and it seems a shame to waste such a nice body.

I'm going to remove the sump and see how things are down there and also check the timing chain. The donor engine has 86k on it so I'm hopeful that all should be ok. Obviously going to change the belt, filters, plugs etc. Also planning to run some engine flush through it and pour some nice fully synthetic oil in. I've ordered the filter kit for the auto box so I can change the fluid in that too. Also thought it would be a good time to do the bushes too so have ordered a full set of polys which should arrive tomorrow and early next week.

So my question is this, anyone got any hints, tips and watch out for's? Any info at all will be very much appreciated. I've never attempted anything on this scale before but I'm reasonably practical and have a bit of common sense so I reckon if I take my time and take heed of any advice you fine people offer I'll manage it...... eventually.....

Thanks in advance
Conrad

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I've just been for my first good look at the new engine. Not happy. 2 manifold studs are snapped off and the rest look like they will if I touch them. There's only a drop of oil in the sump and it's way too clean. Oil leaks all round the head and the plugs have black deposits all over them so I reckon the piston rings are probably on their way out. Overall it looks like it's been lying out of a car for an age.

I'll be phoning the yard I got it from tomorrow and getting my money back.

So it looks like I'm back where I started, stuck with a nice car with a dead engine.

Anyone know of any low mileage 9000's that have been rear ended?

#3 ·
There are lots of used 9k engines available in the UK, maybe you can do better from one of the many junk dealers this side and get a member to confirm condition prior to shipping, or better yet post some wanted adds and buy direct from a member here or at UKS or SS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.