SaabCentral Forums banner

Should I be worried about my turbo?

545 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Solid Snake 
#1 ·
I'm currently running about 1.35-1.4 BAR on my TD04, and it seems to run fine, but I'm worried. When I get my foot down and start making above about 1.0 BAR, the turbo whistles. Is this a sound of impending turbo doom? Or is it a normal noise the turbo makes when spooling up/working at higher boost levels? I'd NEVER heard it before when it was running lower boost. Basically, do I need to start thinking about a rebuild?

#2 ·
Think Dentist's drill. This is trouble.

The normal whistle of a turbo spooling up is music to the high boost ear.

However, you may actually have a boost leak somewhere which can also whistle.

If the whistle sound goes up and down in time with the turbo rpm (as boost rises and falls so does the pitch of the whistle) then I say all is as it should be.

#3 ·
I'd say keep a spare TD04 handy and don't give it a second thought.

It's hard to tell unless you can hear it first hand. Mine is louder above 1bar. Maybe check for shaft play?

No point in swapping it out before it kicks the bucket. Let it live out its service and when it croaks, limp home. Don't worry about it, just take comfort in the fact that they're not too difficult to swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.