Axle tramp reduction? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Axle tramp reduction?

Nuts
20-03-02, 10:32 AM
Does anyone know how to effectively remove/reduce axle trampon 900's?

Its's really annoying and almost definately will shorten the like of suspension & drive train components.

Any suggestions?

Eric van Spelde
20-03-02, 02:30 PM
Assuming you had a close look at your engine mounts, particularly the one at the front (I think it was Car and Driver who mentioned the problem back in '82 in a 900T road test, and said there was an alternate part available for those who drive aggressively enough to notice the 'wheel hop' - can anyone confirm/ give parts #? This would be for the older cars with non-hydraulic engine mounts. Nuts, in your case I would give the slod alloy mount -well, there IS a thin layer of silicone inbetween- made by Damien Shulock in the US):

Lower center of gravity
Stiffen front suspension
Get shocks with REAL good rebound control.

In other words, nothing a set of short, stiff springs and Koni's could not fix to a large extent...

With Saabine, I only get lots of wheelspin in 2nd (can't begin to imagine what it would be if trying hard from a standstill in 1st -I'd rather let my trans live for awhile than to find out...) and she gets _lots_ of mechanical grip...

Eric van Spelde
20-03-02, 02:32 PM
Umm, I meant to say "give the SOLID alloy mount made by Damien Shulock a try"...

Alanb
20-03-02, 03:24 PM
Or...
Wack a bit of rubber between hydraulic mount and the metal upside down 'u' bar that goes over it. This limits mount movement.

Alanb

Nuts
20-03-02, 06:33 PM
I have Abbott racing springs and Spax adj' dampers, so I don't think (hope) the problem lies there.

I think I will change and upgrade the existing mounts come summer. Is TSN the place for Damien Shuluck?
Also weren't there two types of mount for Saabs? Solid and hydraulic. Could the solid ones be used instead or are they a generally weaker mount?

Also does anyone think toe or camber could effect it at all? Something I have been mulling over.

Andrew Williams
20-03-02, 08:11 PM
Nuts,
I changed my knackered hydraulic front mount for the solid rubber type.
This was before i discovered eurocarparts and had a quote from a saab dealer for 149+vat.
I had to change the front primary chain cover, but a used rubber mount came with it. When i decided to re-new the rubber mount, i phoned ECP's and straight away after giving vehicle details was told that the turbo's shouldn't have the rubber mounts and was advised to swop it back.
I have swopped it back to a hydraulic mount and i've also put a solid rubber exhaust hanger under that clamp bracket with a couple of self tappers through the holes on top to keep it in place.
The only problem, or maybe it's a good thing is that you then notice movement elsewhere.
I'm now in the process of collecting all the frontend bushes i haven't changed and doing them all the same time.....and then the rear end ones.

tandino
21-03-02, 08:10 AM
To my knowledge 8v turbo's have rubber mounts and 16 valve turbo's have hydraulic, as other people have mentioned put a piece of rubber over the top of the mount and under the clamp.
Pete.

Janne Selinummi
21-03-02, 09:25 AM
Wasn't the adoption of hydraulic mounts a model year upgrade? I thought all turbo models used them from '88 on. Could be wrong, though...

tandino
21-03-02, 09:50 AM
You could be right Janne, i know that AlanB's car is a 87 model 16VT and his has the hydraulic mount, Simon's old 8VT thats sitting in my driveway has a rubber mount and that is an 87 also, maybe the 8 and 16 valve turbo's were both hydraulic from 88 on?,
Calling JohnW, whats yours got on it?
Pete.

john-w
21-03-02, 01:33 PM
Pete,
How do you tell the difference??

tandino
21-03-02, 02:26 PM
John,
if its the rubber mount ie not hydraulic it looks like a rubber donut pressed in a steel outer colar, the rubber section has a couple of sections cut out to allow a bit of give.
Its also mounted vertically, i think its about 2 1/2 - 3 inches in diameter, the hydraulic mount sits horizontally and has a U clamp which bolts over the top of it to limit movement.
Pete.

Eric van Spelde
21-03-02, 02:41 PM
Damien is indeed a regular poster on TSN. He does a lot of track time with his '86 SPG and from experience I can tell you he is a really nice guy.
All turbo's -8 or 16 valve- came with a rubber front engine mount up to a point -'86 or '87 - so saying the rubber mount is not recommended on turbo cars is bullsh*t. In fact, the hydraulic mount eventually fails on all cars that have it - earlier so on more powerful examples. That's why Damien developed the solid mount, which has quickly been taken over by companies like Swedish Dynamics who will sell it as a 'rally motor mount' - at a premium.

Saabine has the latest-style ('91-on) c900 gearbox with the old primary gear cover cover including rubber mount, and the old differential cover with a real transmission fluid dipstick taken over from the previous set up - IMO the best possible combination.

Happy Saabing,
Eric

Alanb
21-03-02, 02:44 PM
I had an '89 8vT and that had a hydraulic mount. Therefore, I think that it was a year upgrade rather than a 16v vs 8v thing.

Alanb

john-w
21-03-02, 03:43 PM
Great saves me crawling about on the ground!!

tandino
21-03-02, 04:05 PM
Big John,
I would love to see you trying to crawl under your car, be a bit of a tight squeeze!
Pete.

rich
27-03-02, 12:54 PM
my 1985 t16s has solid mounts...

i've been told the front one needs replacing. is it an easy d-i-y fix?