SaabCentral Forums banner

SAAB 9000 - Dashboard temperature sensor

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  aarivers 
#1 ·
Dear Enthusiasts

I have an irritating ticking sound coming from the dashboard temperature sensor on my 9000.

The cause looks to be a tiny fan blade in the unit, however I can't seem to get the unit out, to replace it.

I have removed all the surrounding blanks and buttons around it and taken the face off - however it seems to be fairly well fixed into the surround.

I don't want to jam a screwdriver in and break anything and was wondering if anyone has a tip for removing it.

(It also seems fatter behind the surround, than it does in formt - and I am wondering it it can come out though the dash at all?

Comments would be welcomed.

Hutch

#2 ·
It removes out the back side. It is probably easiest to pop out the ACC unit to get at it. Then just pop the cover off and if you need to, press in the tabs gently and push it out the back side of the dash.

#8 ·
julianm said:
I found a short blast of compressed air & a little spray of switch cleaner type lubricant solved mine a few months ago & it`s been fine since.
I second that.

Whatever you do, DON'T use WD40. Over time it'll just attract more grime and dirt to the fan and make it stick (loud) even more.

#10 ·
julianm said:
I found a short blast of compressed air & a little spray of switch cleaner type lubricant solved mine a few months ago & it`s been fine since.
I'd skip the compressed air, there is a risk of overspeeding the fan which burns the bearing which is what is causing the ticking noise in the first place.

Don't use WD 40, it is not a lubricant.

I second the use of electrical contact cleaner, although all you are trying to do is clean the dust off the fan blade.

#12 ·
dashboard temp sensor

hi .yes it comes out by pushing back into dash and taking out the computer display above the acc helps.suggest get a spare from the wreckers and giving it a good clean.use "vaseline" or petroleum jelly to lube the bearing.they can get noisy.take a low pressure vacuum cleaner to it while it is in the dash-gets rid of most of the fluff and will last longer between having to relube it.love that car.cheers

#13 ·
Hi,

I had the same issue in my car and recently fixed it after putting it off for a while. Here is what I did to fix it.

Okay to get to the unit you have to pull out the Clock/Info center by using a dental pick, then once you have that out you can push the ACC unit out of the way and disconnect it (I took this time to replace 2 of the 3 bulbs in the unit that had burned out). Now take the front cover off the sensor by prying it loose with a small flat head screw driver, then you'll see 2 tabs holding the unit in the dash, push the tab in on one side and push the unit out the back.

Now reach in and unclip the plug and remove from car. Now the fan in unit is not a conventional fan like a PC fan, it's really a paddle wheel turned to it's side, with the shaft runing front to back, the issue with mine was that the rear bush that the shaft sits in was worn down and causing the magnet on the back of the fan to touch the elctro magnets on the PCB board. I took the unit apart, you'll have to desolder the blue wire to do this. So once I had it apart I took a very tiny piece (I'm talking ultra small) of cardboard and shoved it into the hole on the back piece to space it out about 1/2mm, if that. I relubed the bushings and reassembled the unit. No more buzz.. YAY!

Now throw it back in the car, put the ACC control back in and then put the clock/info center back in and your done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.