Swapping 3 spd AT for 5 spd MT [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Swapping 3 spd AT for 5 spd MT

saabinoz
20-03-02, 03:56 AM
Well, it looks like tomorrow I'll be buying my first 900! An '85 900i Combi coupe wih 168,000 original kms. Very nice shape overall, just a bleached from the Australian sun.

The only thing I dislike abou the car is that it's an automatic. Although swapping a transmission is way beyond my mechanical capabilities, I'm curious to know how difficult it would be to do if (at some point) I decided to consider it. Any insights anyone? Stupid idea?

saabinoz
21-03-02, 11:26 PM
And here is teh answer (for the benefit of others):
http://900conversion.saabnet.com/

scott
26-03-02, 09:05 AM
might cost you some bucks if you cant do it your self. i recently got quotes )in australian dollars) starting at $800 just to change the auto over! me supplying g/box too. with a decent g/box and the extra work involved in the job you'd be looking at a few grand i'd say. i could be wrong though, check with some local saab tech's.
if the cars a real bargain, id just stick with the auto, but make sure its alright, mabee get it checked. i used to hate autos but now i love mine.yes its slower and worse fuel economy. at the same time i'd never swap, they're just so damn lazy!