SaabCentral Forums banner

"Rougher" shifts after SAAB MTF manual transmission fluid?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  KevinC 
#1 ·
I recently (less than an oil change ago), replaced the transmission fluid in the 96 9K Aero, with 2.8 (or whatever the right amount) quarts of the synthetic SAAB manual transmission fluid.

I'm not sure if I'm imaging this, but it seems like some shifts have gotten a tad bit 'rougher'. Is that normal? I thought I read somewhere that 'rougher' shifts might be healthier than 'smooth' shifts in certain cases....

Either way, am I imagining things?

#3 ·
I believe you must completely flush out the old oil, possibly with some of the synthetic oil to do so. Then fill the flushed transmission with the correct amount of new fluid.

Bear in mind that bronze synchros are made of bronze in part because they are partially porous to oil. It may take sometime for the old oil in the surfaces of the synchros to be replaced with the new synthetic oil. Possibly this is why flushing is important.

Having said that I have not had any problems using plain old multi grade conventional engine oil in my SAAB 9000 transmissions and that includes very cold and quite hot weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.