SaabCentral Forums banner

Faulty Auto Locks combo'd with Radiator Fan running Full Blast???

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SAAB Snob 
#1 ·
Here's a wierd one for you guys!! Prior to having my car broken into last night in San Fran (Left Rear Drivers Side electric roll-down window), my auto locks worked both from the key in the door and the lock switch by the gear shift. Also, my overhead light worked fine as did the red lights in the instrument panel indicating which door is open (or hatchback, for that matter!). Further, my Radiator Fan worked properly whenever it was necessaary to bring the temp gauge right in the middle of the dial where its supposed to be.

After having the window replaced, however, all of the above went on the fritz!!! When I left the Auto Glass shop and got out of the car an hour later, I went to lock the door and noticed no collective click, just the manual sound of the driver door locking. Usually this would be indicative of a drained battery, which I get more often than I would prefer, after listening to radio for example. So I then tried using the switch by the gearshift, NADA!! Moreover, I noticed when I opened the driver door, not only does the red light go on for the door in the instrument panel, but it also lights up the red light for the Hatchback at the same time?? When I close the driver door, both lights go out? So I cannot lock the doors automatically now, however when I go to the trunk to un-lock, I hear the electronic mechanism engage only for the trunk?? Also, as soon as I start the car, the Radiator Fan engages and stays on the shole ride thus bringing the temp erroneaously lower than it should be,whereas before it was always perfectly regulated.

Being that there was a breakin via the window, obviously there could have been some damage that might effect the above, but before I brought it to the shop this morning, I had to park the car in a secured lot with a guard, and I locked the car normally and didn't notice the fan engaging prematurely nor the funky red lights for both the driver door and the trunk when I opened the door. Also, I know the overhead was working just fine because when I brought the car into the shop, the guy asked how I could turn it off when the door was opened, and I flipped the switch to the middle.

I am thoroughly dazed on this one and unfortunately, I chose to save a couple hundred bucks taking my car to an Auto Glass Guy instead of the Dealership. So I'm pretty sure they're not going to have a clue what to do about it either and of course when I settled with them and signed the "Hold Harmless Take As-Is Slip", thier guy was still cleaning out my car for a while, so it was closing time when I left the place only to find out about this latest problem an hour down the road after the fact!!! What a Beating!@!:roll:

Any Ideas??

Sincerely,
SAAB Snob

See less See more
#2 ·
It could be possible that during installation of the window, the guy/girl could have unplugged a connector or cut a wire that is connected to the system that is now malfunctioning. But i dont know how the radiator fan is connected to the locks ....would be interesting to find out
if you are up to it you could take the door panel off and take a look to see if somethings amiss..check your fuses first then go on to the door panel

#3 ·
Well Guys, I thought I should let you all know that the problem as it pertained to the Central Locking and the lights indicating that the trunk was open when only the driver door was open was fixed as a result of my replacing a blown fuse! I know, it should have been the first place I looked!! In the process, however, I discovered that the "APC" Fuse was blown as well, which would explain my lack of boost as well as my Cruise Control no longer working. Since the same fuse for the APC is also tied to the radiator, this may explain why the radiator fan is acting up, but is not too bad at the moment.

So, in an effort to troubleshoot this problem, it took only a few 10amp fuses being blown at startup to conclude that the APC was on the fritz. So, as a result of reading these INVALUABLE Forums, I not only tested the pins on the APC after taking off the electrical harness and concluded that pins 1 & 2 were semi OK with an OHM registering b/n 1-2 Ohms on my DIMM Meter (Not the ideal 2-3 Ohms, mind you). When testing pins 2-3, there was NO reading which suggests that the circut is blown or shorted. Further, I tested the BPC by taking speaker wire and attaching battery clips, one for positive and one for negative and touched the positive attached to the car battery to the middle pin and the negative attached to the negative on the battery to each of the outer pins. This confirmed what my DIMM told me as I heard the APC "Click" when touching pins -1 & +2 and heard nothing when touching pins +2 & -3. Moreover, after taking off the 3 hoses of the APC?BPC and affixing another new hose to the "W" (Middle) part of the valve to "Blow" through, air came out both the top "C" and bottom "R" holes in the valve...Not good!!! So a new APC/BPC is needed obviously but not before making sure that the 3 Mosfets on the ECU are in working order first, otherwise I realize (after reading these invaluable forums) the "New replacement" APC/BPC could easily Short Circut if any of the 3 Mofets of the ECU are not in good working order (by testing the ECU mosfet with a DIMM by taking off the Mofet clasp and measuring Ohms by touching each of the Mosfet pins with the DIMM and the back of the ECU plate).

So until I get a replacement APC/BPC, I'll just have to enjoy the rather substantial Base Boost as it is for now!!

SAAB Snob

#4 ·
SAAB Snob said:
Well Guys, I thought I should let you all know that the problem as it pertained to the Central Locking and the lights indicating that the trunk was open when only the driver door was open was fixed as a result of my replacing a blown fuse!
SAAB Snob
Good work.. I have the same issue sometimes. Opening the driver side door makes both the red light for the driver door AND the boot light up.

It's probably easy enough to work out but which fuse did you replace?

I found that this all started happening when I got an alarm (which doesn't bloody work) installed in my car and connected to my central locking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.