SaabCentral Forums banner

Leaning on the stickshift?

645 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Superaero 
#1 ·
I want to know if there is anything wrong with leaning on the stickshift? The 9k is a 5 speed.

#2 ·
They say you shouldn't. The engine and transmission move back and forth inside the engine bay as the engine is loaded and unloaded during acceleration, coasting, gear changes, etc.

Since the transmission linkage is essentially a fixed rod, putting any kind of pressure on the shift lever can interfere with the engine's natural motion. Furthermore, you can cause unnecessary wear on your synchros, for essentially the same reasons.

And finally, if you're leaning against the shifter, then you have half as many hands on the steering wheel as you should have. You lose half your ability to sense the car's interface with the road.

#3 ·
RITmusic2k said:
And finally, if you're leaning against the shifter, then you have half as many hands on the steering wheel as you should have. You lose half your ability to sense the car's interface with the road.
That's a good reason not to do it, but resting your hand on the shifter won't hurt the car any.

#6 ·
Resting your hand on the gearshift can only cause transmission issues if you actually push the lever towards engaging or disengaging a gear. This could put the shifter forks in contact with their sleeves causing minor unnecessary wear.

The main point is that you simply should not use this habit. If you can't bring yourself to drive with two hands on the wheel then one can rest on an armrest or on your thigh (or your girlfirend's would be better). When travelling alone people may think ill of you if they see you with one arm draped across your lap.

Then there is the case of the SAAB 9000 driver on a British motorway who was charged with dangerous driving for having no hands on the wheel. He was tying his tie. I think the fact that he was clocked at 90 mph may have had some effect on the officer's decision to lay charges. One of the SAAB's features in my mind is the position of the steering wheel allows you to safely (??) steer using only your knees......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.