SaabCentral Forums banner

Climate Control Going Crazy

657 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  harman 
#1 ·
Not joking, my climate control has every appearance of being possessed.

Most of the time when I turn the car on the climate control digital temperature readout is blank and in about 2 seconds the fan comes on at full blast, most of the time with the AC on (not fun in the winter). There is no response to any of the climate control keys.
Sometimes after a while the fan slows down but will randomly go high and then low.

Now here's the ray of hope. If I drive the car for a while then turn it off and start it again sometimes it all works just great. This might be correlated with engine compartment temperature?
Then sometimes 10 min later the same thing happens, lights go out and the fan goes full blast.

Occasionally it also does other funny things like flickering fan speed lights, nonsense temperature reading, not responding to button presses.
Often the display is a little dim when the system is generally working.

I should say that the trouble started soon after I left the car for about a month, got a dead battery, then I jumped it with a plug in charger.
Also, when it's angry the system keep the defrosters on even when the car is off. I have disconnected the fuse for this so my battery lasts more than a few hours.

Could this be a loose connection that gets better with heat or something?

Any ideas on where to start?

Many thanks! :D

Zach

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome to the forum
Sounds like the ac control unit could be bad, but it could be the connection too. you could pull out the unit then reconnect it to check the connection there.
With ignition on press and hold the auto and < > buttons simultaneously for a couple of seconds and release. The control unit will perform a diagnostics test on the system and display a code if faults are found

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.