SaabCentral Forums banner

97 9000 Aero keyless issue

829 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Superaero 
#1 ·
Hi
I got stuck last week when the car appeared to fall somewhere in to some state between open and available when I pressed unlock. After a few minutes of no start and the indicators going I pressed lock and then unlock and all was OK. I haven't used that fob since. Today I just replaced the battery on the key fob and expected everything to be Ok ... naturally it isn't, no go at all now. The second key fob is working fine (fortunately). Has anyone else had a similar issue and a cure?
Michael

#2 ·
Michael9 said:
Hi
Today I just replaced the battery on the key fob and expected everything to be Ok ... naturally it isn't, no go at all now.
Michael
Not 100% sure about how a pre 96 system works (i've only got a 96 car with a fob) this but when I replaced the batteries on mine I had to keep pressing the lock/unlock button a few times to link it back up with the car.

#4 ·
Reprise on locking/unlocking issue

Well it seemed to work at the time.

Now neither key fob works reliably so I'm thinking it's some intermittent failure within the car itself. Security is now off and I'm just using central locking.

Three years ago I had the security system removed from my other car a 94 CSE (Cobra aftermarket system) because occasionally it would kill the car while you were driving ... although only when going slowly and turning thank heavens. I think it was an issue with mercury switches.

So, all in all I'm turning back into a stone age man and gradually casting off bits of technology.

Not being able to get into your car at 1 am is quite unpleasant. The relief when it finally opens almost makes it worthwhile.

#5 ·
My 97 owner's manual states that the key operates the anti theft alarm just as the remote does but without the flashing of the indicators or bip of the horn to indicate it is armed or disarmed.

When i sue the key in the lock the anti theft alarm red indicator LED illuminates on the dashtop just as if I use the fob.

My 97 also requires that I press and hold the lock/unlock button on the fob until the car locks or unlocks as the case may be (about five seconds or so) in order to reconfigure the remote fob to the car. This procedure is required if I change the fob batteries or occasionally if the car forgets a remote fob, which does happen very occasionally especially if I haven't used that fob for a long time.

#6 ·
Becoming Frustrating

After going back to just key entry the car has decide to give up on central locking .... mischevious or tired? ... I don't know. I tried the 5 second transmit but the car just kept flashing its indicators until I used the other key fob to get it back to normal. Do you think it's a sensor problem? The car's only just clicked over to 90,000 kilometres so things aren't (shouldn't) be at the falling off stage. We're travelling North in a week or two and I'm tense about being in a remote carpark and no car.
Michael

#7 ·
Becoming Frustrating

After going back to just key entry the car has decide to give up on central locking .... mischevious or tired? ... I don't know. I tried the 5 second transmit but the car just kept flashing its indicators until I used the other key fob to get it back to normal. Do you think it's a sensor problem? The car's only just clicked over to 90,000 kilometres so things aren't (shouldn't) be at the falling off stage. We're travelling North in a week or two and I'm tense about being in a remote carpark and no car.
Michael

#8 ·
You should always be able to unlock and lock the car with the key, regardless of the alarm setting. the key should also arm and disarm the alarm unless Oz uses a different alarm system which seems unlikely. The central locking not working does not afect your ability to lock and unlock the car with the key.The only lock that requires electrical operation is the hatch lock as there is no keyhole for that. The door button should work regardless of the central locking issue I should think, and anyway, it can always be accessed through the rear seats ( a theft issue actually as the hatch area can not be locked separately from the car interior.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.