SaabCentral Forums banner

clutch prob

721 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  16saabs 
#1 ·
my son was returning home and went to change into fifth and no clutch straight to the floor, no clutch. so being as i'm a c900 man, (and have loads of 900 spares) I know the clutch system on those but not these only had car 2 months. and know the one in the housing is not a quick/cheap job, so

1 which one normally goes on them, master or slave or is it 50-50?
2 what is the time scale for repair on each
3 what is cost of items approx .
reason for time and cost, is car is due for UK MOT test, and if item or timeor both is going to cost £££ it will be not worth repair cost due to original cost of car. as mot test is £50 plus don't know if anything else is wrong,(plus £105 car tax due)
So it might be the case of save £50 mot test cost+ what parts might be needed to be repaired/replaced,+ £105 car tax +scrap value of car £80? + labour cost of clutch repair = buy another 9000, with tax and MOT test:cheesy: . thanks in anticipation for help

#2 ·
Im just an enthusiast and no tech here matey but, from my experiences of 5 9000's - the flexi hose running to the pipe along the bulk head only needs a pin prick sized hole and the same symptoms you are edxperiencing occur... That is an hours labour plus £60 if you use a dealer part.

I have had the case where the cylinder next to that then went a few weeks later. That coulkd be overhauled with a kit from Parts For Saa.. for a few quid. Think new cylinder was maybe £60.

Now if its the cylinder in the box..... Thats box out. Speaks for itself!

Id put my money on if you pop the bonnet, goto pasanger bulk head, locate the flexi to left hand side of battery.... has metal pipe, then maybe 6" flexi then back to metal pipe that runs length of bulk head and attaches drivers side... wipe the flexi with a bit of kitchen towel or such and you will pick up a trace of dampness. hey presto!! :cheesy:

If that is the case, we dropped out the battery tray to get a clean line up on the nut. It will likely be seized and will try to bend the union that you need to keep. Only took 10 mins tho. Then on re-attaching, copper slick the buggas back on ;)

Check me out being able to contribute! :cheesy: Have felt like a taker on this site for too long now :cool:

Hope it hel[s you along sir, Paul

#3 ·
AERO T16

A giver, taker, helper be, that's why we come on SC,
for problems requirements whatever it maybe?
we all pull out the stops to help a saab mate,
and get prob sorted and keep them in good state
so don't knock yourself that your a taker,
in my case and others, you could be the maker,
so keep up you input in whatever it's guise,
and keep our SAAB's from the junkyard in the skies

#5 ·
took me ten mins this morning to write.:cheesy: due to comment of T16.
But help me first.

have just shone a torch down where clutch plate/bleed valve opening is and the plate /thrust bearing is moving about 10mm, so is that the full amount of movement or is it just taking up the slack but cannot pressure enough to engage gear.
update, decided to put in gear and start up(reverse) started and started to move back as if you were riding clutch but foot was on the floor, car they stayed in position as if riding clutch(drive on slope) so dissengaged gear a bit difficult, tried first/no no, let it roll back to where I started. switched off reengaged revers ,started again started to move back and there was a little clunk and and feel that something had "moved" and the car rolled forward, so footbrake on, engaged first gear and let clutch otu and she moved forward and now is driveway mobile at least. any ideas what might have happened to self cure?? gbox selection did feel a bit notchy though before the free off happened. just going to give it a run round the block and see if it goes ok:eek:

#6 ·
Hope it goes well. That sounds weird. My problem is the slave is going bad and I will have to pull my trans to fix.:cry:

Can someone tell me why a 9000 is only worth e90 scrapped in the UK. Here in US they are worth quite a bit more, I cannot located a running chassis of any older models for less than $500-$700 and those mostly have bad automatic trans.

Based on my ignorance I ask this question, can't you garage or store the vehicle until you repair it and then trailer it to the MOT so it is not on the roads (and hence earning a citation since I know british police are more observant overall than ours). I hate to think of a decent car being scrapped for a clutch issue. Also with the enormous price of all cars these days you could rebuild a 9k from front to back for under $5000, drive it for seven more years or so, and it would be worth what it is now. Or pay $40k for new car for 7 years and have a $3k car then. To me it's a no brainer on the funding end. Just curious and ignorant of UK laws. Is it not legal to store and rebuild a car??

Thanks...... John

#7 ·
re uk mot test etc. you have to have your car mot'd every year which lasts 12months from date of issue, this test is for tyres lagal depth, windscreen=no damage above 10mm radius etc, no rough bodywork, strenght parts of car no rot rust, brake pipes and brakes done on a rolling road, number plates no cracks etc, all lights indicators etc have to work basically it's to be as good (as possible) as when it was made, so it's safe etc, your life depends on it.

you can have a car anywhere on your property etc no problem, but on the street it has to have upto date tax, insurance, and mot. even if it has no engine and no wheels etc etc, technically has to be road legal.

right back to the 9000 clutch?? yes?? just driven it and it's failed again, but got back home, and did the start up in gear thing again still does as before,but I have noticed ithis time it will not let me get the car out of gear, whilst stationary and clutch full down,
It seemed a little noisy as well when I drove it,as got 1st gear and drove home like that 1/2 mile but really noisy so i'm wondering if the thrust bearing may have gone etc or is it a gearbox problem, with not being able to deselect
reverse or forward gears. Were engaged before starting engine, clutch in:x

#8 ·
Thanks for the explanation, still don't know why 9000's are so cheap except there most likely are quite a few more over that side of the pond than here per capita. Glad you can lock a car up and still go through it, one of life's little adventures I am glad society still allows all over the place. Over here you almost have to prove it was apart on private property to avoid paying fines on the registration.

Back on topic, that really does sound like something tragic may have occurred. Very hard to see through the hole but does the clutch pressure plate look normal? Your throwout bearing may have disintegrated but I would think you would hear that for a while before it went. I'm afraid you won't know till the tranny comes out. Sorry......John

#9 ·
does the clutch pedal stick to the floor or have a lot of excessive play?
if it does then u have a bad master/slave or a leak.
if not then u have a clutch/pressure plate/flywheel issue, or ur have a transmission issue.
after ordering a new used tranny after mine had gone bad installing that 1 then having it be bad having to get another 1 and install it.
i can tell u the bad transmission issues shows up out of no where with no warning.
hope this helps
joe

#10 ·
thanks computec, twisted shadows and aero T16, for input

being it's me who would have to do the work (if time) as my son has'nt the money for labour costs at garage, we have decided to call it a day on this one, as when we got it 2 months ago, we later found that the back window had rusted through(removed bubbling) a bit at the base,(hatch) but filled it up and it's been ok but would be looking for a replacement, so with another that I have seen for sale, with basically cosmetic issues, we can buy that one, put the bits right and it's got 2mnths tax and 6-7 months mot we might as well get that and ' save money' and we are up and running straight away + it has aero wheels compared to steels and plastic trims so looks nice, but has 200,000 + miles on it but not worried about that, just get mobile again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.